The Meeting

August 1st, 1988

The approaching footsteps that grabbed his attention were quick, too quick for someone simply walking. Hadn't he told his son enough times not to run in the hallways? Lucius sighed and stood and moved just as the footsteps stopped at his door, opening it before his son could.

"What have I said about running?" He raised one brow down at his son, who was still in his blue pyjamas filled with golden snitches buzzing about.

"Not to do it" Draco answered with an apologetic look, but seemed to forget it an instant later as he raised his hand to show off a piece of white paper that did not look like parchment, "Harry Potter wrote again! Well, not Harry Potter, his guardian wants to talk to you and mother! We'll get to meet Harry Potter!"

"Does he?" Lucius took the letter from his son's hand, glancing at the white piece of paper quite unlike the parchment they used to send their own letters.

How... muggle.

He turned back to his desk, sitting down to regard the letter properly, only then noticing his son's continued presence.

"Do dress yourself properly before leaving the bedroom, Draco" He instructed and the boy left with a sigh, probably realizing he was not about to declare an impromptu visit to Mr Potter due to a mere letter.

Unfolding the piece of muggle paper, he began reading.

31st July 1988

Dear Mr and Mrs Malfoy,

I have recently acquired custody of Mr Potter, who says never before to have received this sort of correspondence in his life. Given your son claims his owl could not possibly be mistaken, I suppose some sort of explanation would not be amiss as to the motivation behind Mr Malfoy's request for Mr Potter's place of residence and request for a meeting with a child who has no idea of who you are.

Yours truly,

Michael Wright, Mr Potter's concerned guardian.

Lucius took a deep breath and put down the letter, a myriad of thoughts swirling in his mind at once. No one in the Wizarding World knew quite where their supposed saviour was hiding, only that it was safe and supposedly in a recluse magical family. Rumours did fly around about adventures no child could possibly be living due to the most likely unsanctioned books that popped up here and there, but those were dismissed by anyone with some amount of sense. If he was staying with muggles, it would explain his continued absence from the spotlight.

"Dobby" he called after a moment, watching the creature pop into existence in front of his desk "Do tell Narcissa to come down to my office" he ordered and turned back to the letter, dismissing the elf.

They had plans to make, which would hopefully result in better standing for their name and house.

~

August 7th, 1988

The days preceding the scheduled meeting with the Malfoy family were unusually unproductive, causing Michael an endless amount of frustration. Of course, most matters related to Harry personally were quickly resolved once the temporary guardianship papers came through, which meant the boy had been thoroughly checked out at a hospital as well as by an optometrist - which resulted in an eating regimen and a visit to an optician for a new pair of glasses respectively - and was successfully enrolled in Sandwood for the term after the summer break. The matter of the child's biological parents, on the other hand, was a complete mystery.