Discoveries and Decisions

A/N: I'm here! And it hasn't been a whole year yet! Yay!

______________________________

November 2nd, 1988

"Get down," Harry hisses up at Hermione while she climbs up one of the library's bookcases, their second try at getting a book they wanted but couldn't reach.

They would have asked Mr Wright for help, but he'd left a while ago after warning them that he needed to take an important work call in his office and Harry didn't want to bother him just for a book, so Hermione decided they could just get it themselves. Actually, she would get it since she's the taller one. They'd dragged one of the chairs from the dining room over to the shelf, but she still couldn't reach it, so she started climbing up the shelf closest to her feet.

"I almost have it," she's leaning to the side with the tips of her fingers brushing the book but not any close to grabbing it.

"You'll get the shelf dirty," Harry insisted with a frown when she raised her foot to climb a second one, "Mr Wright's gonna be mad," he's never seen Mr Wright get mad, not at him at least, but he's never left shoe marks on a bookcase either and doesn't want to find out if that's what makes him mad the first time.

He's been so careful not to break or damage anything so far, not wanting to test his luck, and now here comes Hermione climbing up stuff that shouldn't be climbed on.

"Got it!" Her happy shout makes him look up from her shoes just in time to see her hands slip and make her lose her balance, falling back with a yelp.

"Mione!" He tries to grab her, but he's on the other side of the chair and can only watch as she hits the ground and- bounces? "Wha-" she bounces another two times before the ground stops looking like the one in Cho's flying room.

He walks over to where she's lying on the floor, eyes wide and hugging the book to her chest, but she's standing before he can even try to help her up. "H-here," she holds out the book but it's trembling a bit, like her hands.

"The floor bounced," Harry tells her as if she hadn't noticed, since it sure looks like she didn't. Did he do that? He didn't feel like he did, he'd sort of felt it the other times he'd done magic on accident.

"No it didn't," she glares at him and pushes the book into his arms, "let's put the chair back."

"It did," Harry insists in confusion, "you'd get hurt if you fell from that high and didn't bounce. Did you forget? D'you remember falling?"

"'Course I remember," Hermione crosses her arms, looking down at her feet, "you won't, so leave it alone," she walks past him and starts dragging the chair toward the door.

"What?" He stares at her before putting the book down on one of the sofas and walking over to help her carry the chair without it making that awful dragging noise.

"You'll forget about it, you'll see," is all she tells him while they take the chair back to its place.

Harry frowns all the way back to the library, not sure what Hermione's talking about, but she didn't say she didn't bounce, just that he'd forget about it, but why would he forget? If she did make that happen, since it wasn't him, is she- "You're a witch!"

"What did you call me?" She turns to him looking upset, but why-

"You didn't say you didn't bounce, just that I'd forget," Harry explains, "so it was you, wasn't it? You're magic, like-"