Birthday Surprises

September 18th, 1988

"Harry!" a brown blur tackled him barely a step into the house, sending them both falling backwards into Mr Wright's legs, only saved from hitting the floor by him reaching down to steady their surprise hug.

"Happy birthday 'mione," he wished, muffled against her hair, "I gotta breathe though."

"Sorry!" His fuzzy-haired best friend chuckled and let go of the tight grip her arms had around his neck, stepping back with a grin, "I'm just excited. We're going to the zoo! There's so many animals I want to see, do you think they have guides? I have so many questions."

"Uh- I dunno, never been to the zoo," Harry shrugged.

"Let's go, mom! Dad!" She turns to the door and smiles up at Harry's guardian, "hi Mr Wright!"

"Hello, happy birthday Hermione," he smiles down at her and ruffles her hair like he does Harry's, getting an annoyed look for it, "excited?"

"I'll show Harry all the coolest animals!" She announces, nearly vibrating in place and making them chuckle.

"So long as you don't run off on your own," Mrs Granger warns as she comes to greet them, her husband right behind her.

"We have lunch reservations, so there's no time to get lost in the zoo," Mr Granger adds.

"Yessir," Harry nods along with Hermione only to get pulled by the hand right past Mr Wright and out of the house.

"Hurry up!" Hermione yells behind them at the adults, making Harry giggle at her unusual energy. She grins at him and squeezes his hand, and he can't help but grin right back, "this will be the best birthday."

He can only agree.

~

"They're cute," Michael heard his ward point out from where he, Jean and Hugo hung back a few steps, letting the kids enjoy the tour with some relative privacy.

"Did you know Lemurs have a female-dominant society?" Hermione asked. Another tidbit of animal trivia, something that hadn't stopped leaving her mouth since they stepped into the zoo. It was kind of adorable, especially when Harry clearly hung on to every word, "they also have two tongues!"

"How does that work?" Harry asks, looking like he's trying to imagine the logistics of having two of the same appendage by moving his own tongue around his mouth.

"Um- I don't know," Hermione frowned and the parents traded looks, seeming a little worried.

"We can look for a book about it later," Harry suggested with a shrug and Michael watched Jean and Hugo's postures relax slightly when their daughter answered the suggestion with a bright grin and a nod of agreement.

"Come on, the nightlife habitat is this way!" Hermione drags Harry away from the lemurs and out the door, the adults obligingly following behind.

"Thank you for doing this," Jean's voice caught his attention and he looked away from the kids to look at her, a little confused, "Hermione hasn't had many friends, it means a lot to see her get along with someone her age."

"Nothing to thank me for, I'm glad they get along," Michael shakes his head, "they're good for each other, I caught them climbing the front yard trees the other day."

"Bless that boy for making her leave her books for even a moment," Hugo jokes, but he can tell from their expressions that they are indeed happy with their daughter's friendship.

"Mom! Mom! Look!" Hermione's call cuts into their conversation and they step closer to the kids as they enter the nightlife habitat, the change in lighting taking them a moment to adjust before they can spot what the almost nine-year-old is pointing at.