Chapter 5

Leafy woke up the next day and recounted the events from last night.

Her "dead" husband had just been standing in her living room and she attacked him with a baseball bat.

She sighed to herself as she pulled herself out of bed and brushed her hair into a loose bun.

She walked down stairs and a pleasant smell wafted in the air.

Coffee and fresh bread.

She stood at the bottom of the stairs entranced by the sight in front of her.

Firey stood in her kitchen, casually making coffee in the way that only he did, getting the coffee to smell absolutely gorgeous with a bag of bread from the bakery down the street and the table set with two plates on it.

For a second she was able to kid herself that nothing had happened, it was just them sitting in their apartment on a Sunday morning.

She shook the thought as Firey looked up and met her eyes.

She sat down at the table, her gaze fixed intently on him as he made his way over with two cups of coffee in his hands.

An awkward silence filled the air between them.

"So, are we going to talk?" he asked uncertainly.

"Yes, we are," she said simply.

"Where have you been?"

Firey sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Leafy, I told you I can't tell you yet. I don't know what's happening yet,"

"Well, what's so bad that you can't tell me because listen closely, if you bring any danger to this household you are out of her," she growled.

"Look it's a difficult story and until I know everything I've been sworn to not say a thing," he defended.

"Am I safe though? Or does your presence here put me or anyone else in danger?" she questioned.

"No, only me," he insisted.

"Why did you show up in the middle of the night? Why not just wait till morning?" she sighed.

"I was using the darkness as a cover, some of the people I was with have identities that need to stay hidden," he explained.

"You scared the hell out me, idiot. I was this close to calling the police!" she exclaimed.

"Sorry," he said sheepishly.

Leafy raised an eyebrow as she stared at him, not knowing what to say next.

"Is that it?" he asked.

Leafy looked away. "I just can't think of anything else to say,"

"Well, can I ask some questions then?"

"Sure,"

"Who's the kid?"

Leafy froze as she knew immediately what he was referring to.

"He's uh-he's mine, his name is Grove,"she stated.

" Who's the dad? "Firey questioned.

"The father of that child is none of your business," she snapped.

"Jeez, sorry I just wanna know if I'd be a homewrecker," he said defensively.

"No, you wouldn't but it's still none of your business," she shrugged.

"How old is he?"

"Not sure, I haven't been keeping track and I'm tired right now," she said as she sipped her coffee "Can we move away from this topic please?"