The question of justice

warnings: some opinions on the death penalty and religion are voiced

On her way back, Lia hauls out the images from her past, the memories that were tucked away, the things she never wished to repeat — but she did once before, and her hands didn't flinch, and she can't ward the weight of it off

On her way back, Lia hauls out the images from her past, the memories that were tucked away, the things she never wished to repeat — but she did once before, and her hands didn't flinch, and she can't ward the weight of it off. Vengeful thoughts rush back to her, and she tries to come to terms with the inevitable, to get over herself with each step that leads to the castle. By the time she comes in, the acceptance erodes her, and she's left benumbed in the wake of it.

Lia hears them before she sees them — the din of voices, male and loud, and it makes her slow down as she's trying to make out what the conversation is about. She catches some words — something about the law, ropes and axes — and it sounds boresome but they are too engaged in the conversation to notice her, or so she hopes.

Lia takes the risk and takes the turn to where they are standing, and she's not surprised upon seeing a small group of men arguing. What she doesn't expect is to see Aemond and Ser Criston standing not too far away, having a talk of their own, seemingly to keep themselves busy until the others can come to a conclusion of sorts. Lia almost wants to turn around but decides against it, counting on them not paying her any mind.

It nearly works — not a single head turns while she passes by, but then someone raises his voice in her direction:

"Maybe we should ask the lady who has a taste for justice."

She holds back a sigh and stops, and the silence in the hall clearly indicates that everyone did notice her. Lia turns to the men, and one of them — dark-skinned, dark-eyed and with a cunning smile — is looking at her with genuine interest.

"That kind of praise calls for an explanation, ser," she says while staring blankly at him, thinking that her disinterest might make him too uncomfortable to drag her into the conversation. Instead, he only grins.

"Your reputation precedes you," he has a velvety voice. "My seafarers that are docked nearby brought me some interesting news this morning — it seems that the peddlers they've had a long-running argument with were given some beating."

Other men share a surprised look behind his back, taking a closer glance at the girl, but their attention feels galling to Lia.

"A fascinating story," she responds without much enthusiasm. "What makes you so sure it was me?"

"A woman is no match for three men, let alone a lady of your age — yet, you came out a winner. And a modest one," he means no mockery, his gaze both curious and respectful. "But your father takes pride in your achievements."

She visibly stiffens, and Aemond can't help but step closer, his own annoyance at the lords already peaking. She sees the movement out of the corner of her eye but doesn't react, her glare directed at the man who seems to regret his story-telling skills just a little.