Duty & sacrifice (part 1)

we are boarding the train of angst, choo-choo! (but worry not, we will go back to some bloody fighting very soon ;)
on a side note, thank you to everyone who's been reading this fic, liking and leaving comments, it really means a lot to me. I hope the upcoming New Year will be kind to you all ♡

P.S. I imagine Harry Gilby as grown-up Luke

 I imagine Harry Gilby as  grown-up Luke

To her surprise, Aemond is the only one missing at the dinner hall

To her surprise, Aemond is the only one missing at the dinner hall. Her wearing a dress is equally surprising to everyone who's present. Helaena beams at her, looking appreciatively over the gown, and Rhaena's face expresses the same kind of admiration. Baela makes a point to ignore Lia's presence but Jace doesn't — his gaze goes from the hem of her dress up to her face until he meets her eyes, and she sees no bitterness in his but what looks like a remorse instead. His arrogance, it seems, is not long-lasting but rather just a flare he is still learning how to contain. Lia is in too good of a mood to hold a grudge against him. Rhaenyra and Daemon are deep into a conversation, intimately whispering, her fingers absentmindedly going up and down his arm. Alicent gives her a sincere smile; it wanes when she glances at the other end of the table, concerned and unaware of her son's whereabouts.

Aemond's seat doesn't stay empty for long. Lia first picks up footsteps passing through the hallway, then the doors creak and the servants standing there mumble something. She doesn't see whoever is coming but she sees the faces of everyone she's facing — their expressions get visibly startled. Alicent's eyes widen, a crease settles in between her brows.

"Seems like we need another chair," Rhaenyra says with the utmost politeness yet her gaze is nothing but hostile, fixed on the person approaching.

"Luckily, there's just enough room for one more," comes a velvety voice Lia never heard before.

Aemond reaches them first — he slips onto his usual place without a sound, and his face is distant, lips tight. He throws a glance at his mother but doesn't look at anyone else. It feels like he's making an effort not to; it leaves Lia feeling uneasy. Right behind him comes a man of a similar height — they also happen to share the same perfect posture and lean build, his sharp facial features clearly resembling the ones the prince has.