A King's Game: Chapter Eight

I barely touched my plate at dinner.

Dread lay like a stone in my stomach, and I could do nothing to settle it.

Bad. Hurt. Afraid.

What could have happened to make the wolf—the Champion of the Pit—afraid?

Before I took my seat Roland pulled me aside and asked what I remembered about the dungeon. I told him I knew Odd Gran's name, and that she collected samples from the animal after testing its healing abilities. I said nothing about the nightmare that followed or the warning the wolf had given.

The prince was removed from dinner almost immediately after it had begun, and was taken away by a physician while complaining of a sharp pain in his knee. The king acknowledged his leaving with a curt nod before returning to his conversation with Roland.

"Prone to argument, but pliant in the end," I heard Roland say.

"What about the wolf?"

My ears perked up, but I kept my eyes on my plate so the men wouldn't notice I was listening.

"It's not yet clear if the animal has the same dull quality of mind—"

"The boy is dim?"

"Incapable of comprehending a simple game of chess, even after many tries. He has curiosity, but he's judgmental and lacks ambition. No mind for tactics or secrets. He won't be a problem."

"Tell me more about the animal."

"They share memories, or perhaps they experience things simultaneously. My theory is that it goes both ways, and the wolf likewise knows the boy's past and present."

"What about its nature?"

"I've seen nothing to prove it's not tame. I believe the beast is controlled."

"And your theory about its power?"

"It heals cleanly and with remarkable speed."

The king turned to me and it took all my cunning not to reveal I was listening. I pushed food around my plate with my fork as I held my breath and waited for the king's attention to pass.

"When will we test it?" he asked Roland. 

"I was told something might be ready tomorrow, but—"

"Tomorrow then."

"These are delicate matters. We don't want to rush."

The king turned back to the physician, and I knew his temper was rising.

"You're commanding me to wait?"

"I'm suggesting that we may not have the perfect combination at first. We don't want our initial tests to be on someone important."

"Find someone of no consequence."

"I already have one in mind. But, if I may, now might be the time for our guest to learn our intention."

"Then talk to him."

"I think it would be best coming from someone above my station."

"Me?"

"Who better to tell than the only one he can't refuse?"

"I see."

With the matter settled, the men turned their discussion to politics and war, but that quickly devolved into vulgar joking that I had little interest in listening to.

I looked over at Interra and Amatha. I wanted to ask if they knew about Odd Gran and her dungeon but decided it was a question best left for a private meeting.