The Beast Within: Chapter One

Josiah's story ended on a somber note.

"You know what happened next," he said. "John was true to his word and led me here. When we pushed through the trees and I saw you in the distance...I couldn't believe it. You were alive. You were here. It was impossible."

He looked at his sister with eyes full of love. Unable to stop herself, Credence burst into tears. Josiah moved to comfort her but she pushed him away.

"What's wrong, 'Crence? Have I upset you?"

"No," she rasped, "there's...a lot to take in."

Josiah smiled. "I imagine I'll be overwhelmed after you share your story."

Credence shook her head. "You'll be furious."

"Why?"

She didn't answer but continued to cry. Josiah waited patiently for the emotion to pass, but he saw her shiver and understood there was a great fear beneath the tears.

"It's all right, take your time," he soothed.

"I'm an aunt," Credence whispered.

"Yes," Josiah said through a chuckle. "I can't wait for you to meet them. Faye and Ekon and little Credence."

"I don't know if you'll want that after you've heard what I've done."

His smile fell. He studied his sister's face before turning to look outside of the cave they were in. The night had almost passed during his story and the sun was beginning to peek over the horizon.

"I'll catch us some breakfast while you collect yourself."

When Josiah returned with a freshly-caught pheasant, he found his sister leaning with her forehead and palms against the stone wall, muttering to herself. With her mind focused elsewhere, she didn't notice her brother's arrival and nearly jumped from her skin when he touched her arm.

"Sorry! I didn't—"

"I was trying to figure out how to begin my story," Credence lied. 

"Start wherever feels necessary. Tell me about what happened when you left."

He added twigs to the dying fire before sitting down and beginning to pluck the bird he'd caught, which was difficult and messy as he had no water to soak the feathers in.

"Hey, 'Crence. Do you think you could...?"

Josiah pointed to the low flame struggling to catch the wood. Credence nodded and flicked her wrist, sending a flame through the air and onto the twigs.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing you do that," Josiah muttered in soft awe.

"Where is John," Credence asked, suddenly remembering there was a third companion. "I haven't seen him since—"

"He said it was best we found each other alone. I told him that bringing us together spared his life, but it did not make us friends. We would never have parted in the first place if it hadn't been for him."

"True, but without him I may not have survived to be with you in this cave. Where did he go?"

"I don't know and I don't care. I imagine he's run far away by now. The last thing he said was, 'Be kind to Credence, she's been through things you can't understand'."

"The council will want him back, won't they?"

Josiah shrugged. "He's told them everything he needs to. The council will understand I couldn't keep him—not when I had my sister to protect."