Chapter 22 Contract

Rodrick and his son hid inside the den and shut the sliding door to prevent anyone from listening in.

Quig stammered for a half-hour before words came out of his mouth. "We're replacing the missing funds; I suspect Vex and Sean-Mack stole."

"Vex stabbed Lana to death. Not that it'll hurt him. He never loses power."

Quig hugged him. "You didn't sign the blood contract, did you?"

"I lied to the media, but I refuse to lie on a blood contract that I'm Trent's birth father and will die with him if he commits another crime. He's visibly older than me."

"Did you have anything to do with Grew-Ella winning that car?" Quig asked.

"Bribing businesses for winning tickets isn't illegal as long as no money changes hands." Rodrick's voice became loud again as they left the den. "Quig, the media won't believe you chose Grew-Ella over her sister."

"Zill is obnoxious. Yoleta's ex-husband witnessed her threatening me after I refused to go to a cheap hotel room with her and join her in the hot tub."

"My sister did what?" Grew-Ella asked more loudly than she meant to.

Quig showed Rodrick the nuptial bracelet.

Rodrick examined the crystal details. "Fine workmanship-"

Madd-Ox interrupted. "Quig's grandmother designs wedding jewelry and claims the crystals bring fortune and luck."

Yoleta reached for her weapon when she spoke to Rodrick. "Grew-Ella has always been compliant. She keeps her flaws hidden. Honestly, Rodrick, if it wasn't for your super desirable body, you'd receive reject status."

"I'm still elite because I never post on social media," Rodrick bragged.

"Grew-Ella isn't pretty enough, can't become pregnant, and deserves an engagement contract, not marriage. But I'd rather sell her organs," the female board member said.

"You had no right looking into her medical records. Mention selling her organs one more time." Yoleta raised her fist at the woman. "And those contracts are illegal without her consent. She is acceptable by our standards. Ida shouldn't have been arrested, either."

"It's a joke. But vote for me for prime minister." The woman snorted and left.

Yoleta spoke loudly to Rodrick. "Give Quig this win. Despite his status, he is still yummy, and I'm thrilled his pretty face wasn't damaged. He is a librarian that most women want checking out their romance novels."

Rodrick grinned. "I'll be merciful."

"When are you planning to marry?" Yoleta asked Quig.

"Next year, but I didn't propose, and she might say no because I won't amputate my busted wing," Quig said.

Grew-Ella hugged him. "I'll accept."

Rodrick tugged on Quig's stronger wing. "Having her stay in your dinky hovel is proof that she loves you."

"My apartment isn't that small, but I'll upgrade to married housing," Quig said bluntly.

Yoleta closed her eyes, and a fresh memory of Chase ruining the wedding formed. "This Saturday is better. My campaign donors are coming for a meeting, and I'll request that they stay an extra day."

Quig's body stiffened. "But today is Thursday!"

Grew-Ella's fingertips brushed Quig's arm. "We have to marry before Chase and my sister find out. Saturday might be too late. Couldn't we marry now? Most of the government officials are here, anyway."

Quig couldn't help but grin.

Rodrick shook his head, 'no.' He smiled at them. "Marry each other tomorrow evening because I have a meeting with Junior on Saturday, and he'll show up for the wedding. His support keeps you both alive."

Yoleta pinched Quig's cheek. "Propose to her during your morning class before the school closes early."

Avery-Joy spoke. "I'll delete all the articles romanticizing Zill's escape and post ones about Quig rejecting her and her failed attempts to force reject status on Quig."

"There is no proof," Yoleta said.

Avery-Joy stood straight. "Zill works for Sean-Mack and Vex. This hurts my political party, but the Kindness Rebels shouldn't have elevated a model who was pro-cancel culture before she was badged." Avery-Joy slid a tiny writing pad out of her pocket and took notes. "My creepy ex-boyfriend is being banned. Stanton has a crush on Grew-Ella, and he'll disrupt the wedding."

"He shouldn't be a problem, but I'll look out for him." Rodrick and the rest of the workhouse board, except for Yoleta, left.

Quig didn't speak for a minute. "Grew-Ella, I've been thinking we should marry since the storm. I'm sorry, you lost your car. Though I'm thrilled to exact revenge against my thieving publisher."

Avery-Joy winked at Grew-Ella. "My ex-co-professor wouldn't mind marrying you for a fee."

"No, he tries to date students. Quig is believable and safe. His broken status protects me from unwanted engagement contracts. We keep saving each other." Grew-Ella collapsed.

Quig lifted her, and he felt her body tremble against his. His working wing expanded and wrapped around her.

Yoleta's eyes stared at her temporal watch and glanced over the messages. Don't let her go to her apartment alone, flashed three times on the digital screen. She thought, 'did I send the warnings myself? My memory is choppy.' Yoleta guided Quig and Grew-Ella out the door. "I'll meet you both across from Grew-Ella's apartment, but don't go in without me."