Chapter 38 The Other Beauty Contest

Friday 9:15 p.m.

*

Grew-Ella pressed her lips into Quig's as they entered the living room.

Her wings twitched, and her hands trembled. She hyperventilated.

Quig broke away from the kiss. "No, talk to me."

"But I thought you wanted us to be a real couple and each other's forever." She looked into his eyes.

"Oh, Grew-Ella, I do. I... um... adore you, but no one should force you to love me. What about your romantic needs?" He stepped away. "You aren't ready, but when you feel better, I'll love you."

She rested her hand over where his heart would be. "I regret hurting you, and I'm afraid I'll do it again, without meaning to."

Quig turned toward the window and watched the snowflakes fall instead of turning to her. So, she couldn't see the overwrought emotional drama hiding in his eyes. "Your fear could mean you have feelings for me and-"

Grew-Ella interrupted. "I hide my feelings under my so-called physical flaws. The men I've dated have tried to force me into plastic surgery or left me for my sister. Quig, I love my real appearance. Yes, I have signed an NDA, but that is an excuse because it's over."

"I wasn't lying when I said how pretty you are." He bent down and kissed her forehead.

"Are you sure?" she asked.

"I'll give you extra time, but in my defense, I don't want you to change or even hide your so-called flaws. My relationship with Ann started because you became engaged to a man that you barely knew. When I fell in love with her, she never truly believed me, but I never said I love you casually. I've only ever told three women I love them in my life."

"Ann told me that you both settled, but I didn't realize she was telling the truth. Why should I believe that?"

"Grew-Ella, if I give you the name of my online therapist, would you go to a couple of sessions with me? As much as I wish to, I can't fix this with my love."

"You're right, I'm broken." She trembled.

He touched her face. "No, you're just in pain. If I still was a full elite, and you were unacceptable, I'd crush my other wing to marry you, or run away with you to the Ivy Kingdom."

Grew-Ella stared into his eyes. "Wow, you mean that." She unfolded the paper heart.

*

Dear Quig,

I would have volunteered to be your bride at your canceled wedding to save you, but it wasn't up to me.

Love,

Grew-Ella

*

The paper heart drifted onto the floor. Her voice rose over the wind outside their apartment building. "I didn't want to be with Chase in the first place!"

"What happened?" Quig asked.

She sat on the couch. "Zill arranged an illegal engagement contract, otherwise known as the mistress contract. She would have been arrested if Sean-Mack and Vex weren't involved. Chase and I were never intimate, but I wasn't allowed to date anyone that she didn't pick. My sister enjoyed torturing me."

Quig's shoulders slumped. "She what?"

"I wish it ended there. You can't legally tell anyone. Please, don't stop loving me. I never told you I didn't love you, but that I couldn't." She scooted closer to Quig.

"I love you too." His thumb rested on her lips for a split second.

"Quig, I ran four times when Chase bought me for a cheap cameo on his canceled show. I never loved him. Vex ordered me to come back."