Chapter 41 Near Christmas Morning

Tent Village

*

Christmas in the village started hours before dawn.

Quig's editor, Hempstead, opened her tie-dyed, house-sized tent to allow Rodrick to enter and did not tie the crystal-embedded flaps behind her. She leaned on additional transparent containers stuffed with books, non-perishables, and objects that she used in her home.

Rodrick carried Christmas stockings, and a tin filled with sugar-free meringue cookies as he stepped on grass mats used as a floor. He set his gifts on top of a container.

"I'm glad you made it. The others should arrive in an hour." She patted his hand and spread blankets on the mat.

Rodrick sat on the multicolored wool blankets she laid out for him. His phone buzzed, and he glanced at it and tucked it away. "Vex is heading here." He bolted up and shoved her behind him.

Vex strutted into the tent and twirled a cane. "Of course, you're slumming with lesser women. It's okay if you have an engagement contract, but not to actually love one of these creatures."

"Don't you dare call Hempstead lesser," Rodrick said.

She jumped next to her wooden desk, an ice chest, and a large brass bell. Her hands hit the bell, and it rang out, echoing through the village.

Vex kicked over her desk. "Rodrick, you're a little worm and too weak to kill anyone. Stanton died because of the magic he used. I'll slaughter those who humiliate me." He transformed into a dragon and lifted her tent.

"Being a decent man isn't a weakness." Hempstead pulled her desk up and rang the bell again. She transformed into a larger dragon, double his size.

Vex ignored her and attempted to hit Rodrick with his cane.

Male villagers clutching chains ran into the broken tent.

Female guards followed with homemade spears.

"At least Grew-Ella isn't a coward, paying villagers to protect her," Vex said.

"I didn't cower and sign a blood contract." Rodrick's eyes narrowed, and he pointed to the laser gun in his holster.

"I didn't either. I forced Stanton to sign, but he's dead now. Everyone here is destined to be shoved in one of my workhouses." Vex stormed out of the tent, and the guards ran after him.

Rodrick fixed her tent, nailed it down, and sewed the torn flap. "I'm sorry for the evil that followed me in. You shouldn't wish to breathe the same air as me. I've done terrible things to protect my family, and I killed Avery-Joy's ex. Maybe, not directly, but..." he paused.

"You shouldn't feel guilty because of Stanton. He caused his death."

"I'll turn myself in when the workhouses fall." Rodrick trembled.

"He helped Vex drag our village girls to the workhouse. This is a revolution, and he was a war criminal," she said.

"Yes, he was, and technically a child killed him, but no one would arrest a Kill Home executioner for doing her job." Rodrick attempted a tiny smile.

"I used to live in The Glass Kingdom. Our king hosted survival contests to amuse himself, but he became carried away and ran out of people. Millions of families fled, including mine, and the king died alone." Rodrick nodded. "I'm not like your deceased king, but Dot is with her mom, and my son is spending time with his wife's family."

"You're always welcome here." She hand-cranked her heater and her moth-shaped lanterns when they dimmed. They illuminated the surrounding space.

They unwrapped the sack together and revealed seeds and books.

"These are the best gifts I've received all year," she said.

Rodrick stood up. He enfolded his arms around her, and she hugged him back, exposing her badges.

A half-hour later, Ruby, Dot, and their nephew arrived with a sack of stockings and fresh flowers.

Rodrick didn't break away from the hug right away, but he grinned at Dot. "I'm glad you're here."

Dot hugged him briefly.

Hempstead grinned. "I invited Dot as a surprise. Maybe next year, we'll have one big party with both kids. I'll invite Dot's mom and stepfather."

Ruby shut the tent flap behind and tied it shut with trembling fingers. "Why are all the guards patrolling?" She looked around nervously.

Hempstead smiled and directed her to the warm blankets. "There was a security incident, but we're safer here than in the workhouse board district."

"I won't lie. Vex was here," Rodrick said.

"Government officials are killing each other and becoming bad ghosts and zombies." Snake Boy's tail wagged.

Ruby sat on the wool blankets. "Let's not talk about evil spirits. Unless it's a cartoon show."

"Alright, Aunt Ruby."

"How is your mom?" Rodrick asked Dot.

Dot frowned and covered Snake Boy's ears. "She and my stepfather are visiting his daughters in the Ivy Kingdom, and they might not be coming back. Madd-Ox gave me and Ruby expensive cruise tickets for our honeymoon and Mom is traveling under my name."

"My parents immigrated here a year before my wedding, so there was no reason to visit," Ruby said.

The boy broke away and gave Hempstead a giant hug. "Does your village have ghosts or snakes? I like both."

"Not sure." Hempstead smiled at him and bent down to speak to him. "Are you in the mood for Christmas breakfast?"

Snake Boy rubbed his belly and wagged his tail.

Hempstead opened her ice chest, and she gathered her ingredients.

Rodrick cranked a hot plate. He assisted her and removed additional ingredients and pots tucked inside a plastic container.

They served a hearty breakfast of sausage burgers topped with potato strips and fried eggs.

"There will be a communal dinner later. We make sure that all villagers are fed once a day, but holiday meals are fancier than stew," she said.

"I'd love to volunteer to wash the village dishes," Rodrick said.

Hempstead patted his back. "I'll take you up on that offer."

They napped on the blankets, exchanged stockings, and drank wild mint tea.

Everyone in the tent chatted about editing, ghosts, family, toys, and all those little conversations that give people a sense of home.