The Wild Ones

If someone asked the people of their village to describe the twin children of Mikael, almost all would say wild. 

They were so full of life, running barefoot through the woods, pulling clever pranks, and climbing impossible heights much to the bewilderment of the adults around them. They were adventurous and far too clever for their age. They never stopped exploring and were never seen more than a few feet away from each other. At only four years old, the twins had a reputation for causing mischief. 

The twins were both polar opposites and identical at the same time. They were unnaturally intuned with each other. They got sick at the same time, they both awoke and fell asleep at the exact same time, and they could practically read each other's minds. The bond between Kol and Kara could be described as unnatural by many. 

However, they also balanced each other out. Where Kol could be vicious and cruel, Kara was kind and softhearted. Where Kara was wild to a fault, Kol would always be there to pull her back from danger. They were light and dark, like the twin gods Bauldr and Hodher. They were cheeky and mischievous and as wild as the wolves of the village. 

Kara loved every moment of her new life. She felt alive. She ran and jumped and danced like she had seen so many other children do. She played with her siblings and felt the warm embrace of nature around her. She was healthy, happy, and free. She didn't care if she was considered wild, she was determined to live every moment in this life. 

Finn was unfortunately tasked with watching the twins this morning. A task that proved more difficult the older they got. Kara was Finn's favorite sibling, she adored him, but that didn't mean she was any less troublesome when he was on babysitting duty. Kol listened to none but Kara, if it weren't for her they feared what the boy would actually be like. 

"Kara! Kol!" Finn called out as he looked frantically through the woods. Managing to keep up with the twins was like nailing down the tides, impossible and they always got away. He had only taken a sip of water and when he glanced up again they were gone. 

He heard a light bell-like giggle coming from the heavens. He closed his eyes in frustration as he knew exactly where Kara was. 

"Kara if I find you in a tree, I'm leaving you there." Another cheeky giggle escaped from the branches above him as he looked up. 

There hanging upside down from one of the impossibly high limbs of the tree hung the twins he was meant to watch. Finn was baffled by how they managed to climb up the tree. There were no branched low enough for them to reach and the gaps between branches would make climbing impossible even for him. 

Their little faces were flushed red as the blood raced to their heads, they laughed even harder as Finn looked up at them. 

"Why you upsidedown Finn?" Kol giggled, his cheeky smile lighting up his dark eyes.

"How you do that Finny?" Kara giggled along with him, laughing harder at Finn's disgruntled face. 

"Kara, Kol, get down here this instant. Father will return at any moment, we must be back!" Though he frowned, his eyes shined with amusement. Finn always had a soft spot for the lively twins, especially his little sister. 

Kara was always the most loving of their family. She gave out kisses and demanded cuddles, pouting if any refused. The Mikaelson men had a weakness for Kara's cute pouty face. Her big brown eyes glittered with unshed tears, her bottom lip quivering and her chubby cheeks puffed out, they were powerless against the Kara Pout. 

The twins had gotten out of trouble many times with the power of the pout. Even the fearsome Viking Mikael was not immune. 

"Come down here this instant." He readied himself to grab them, he knew the moment their little bare feet hit the ground they would take off again. They were always too fast and too clever to catch easily, like little squirrels.