Farwell Father

Kara stood in quiet shock, one hand gripping Kol's and one cupping Freya's shaking shoulder. Mikael lay desiccated in a coffin before them, his grey marbled skin taunting them as they stared at his lifeless corpse. 

A plan had been made. 

Mikael would connect his life to Dahlia, who was connected to Freya. As long as the immortal Mikael lived, so too would Freya. Freya was given the gift of immortal life without losing her magic. 

In order to keep Dahlia from waking, Mikael was put to sleep, forever trapping himself in an endless sleep so that Freya might live. 

The spell had worked. 

Dahlia was still asleep, Freya was an immortal witch, and Mikael was out of their lives. All had ended unreasonably well... Well besides Freya's broken heart.

Her sobs echoed off the cavern walls as she collapsed before her beloved father's corpse. She didn't know, Kara reminded herself. She didn't know if Mikael's cruelty, or his abuse of Niklaus, or how he hunted them like dogs. 

Kara could feel Kol's jealousy as if it were her own. Freya got to keep the magic that was ripped from their bodies. She got to be immortal and remain herself, unlike them. Her thumb mindlessly drew circles on their clasped hands, giving her silent support and understanding. 

"We need to get back to the others," Kol spoke, though his tone held none of his usual playfulness. 

"Give her another moment, Brother," Kara whispered back. 

"She hardly knows the man. She weeps for a monster she hasn't seen since she was five."  Kol hissed back, immediately looking apologetic at his harsh tone towards Kara. 

"He sacrificed himself for her. All she knew was happy memories, let her mourn the loss of her father." Kara didn't even flinch at her twin's harshness, she understood where he was coming from to an extent. 

They watched as Freya stumbled to her feet, placing a loving kiss on Mikael's brow before righting herself once more. 

She turned to them, eyes a flaming red from crying. "Let's go." She announced, not sparing her father one more glance as they exited the cave where Mikael would remain. 

Kara and Kol followed behind awkwardly, glancing at each other to see who would speak first. Kara held up her fist in invitation, earning a bemused eye-roll from Kol. 

One, Two, Three! They counted silently, shaking their fists before they moved. 

Kol held up a fist, signifying rock, as he always did. 

And Kara held up a flat palm, signifying parchment, as she always did, once again winning the silent battle. 

Kol cursed before turning his attention back to Freya, "So... You are Freya... and you didn't... Die from the plague." Kara didn't think he could be any more uncomfortable if he tried. She smacked his arm earning an annoyed side-eye from her other half. 

"You are... alive... what's that like?" Kol continued, regaining some of his mischievous swagger. 

"I know we don't know each other... But all I've ever wanted was my family back. I want us to have the relationship we could have had if it weren't for Dahlia... So tell me about our siblings before I meet them." Freya smiled, though her face remained red and splotchy from her crying. 

"Well Finn was the Eldest, he's a boring prude. There's also his wife Sage who follows after him like a bitch in heat." Kol began.

"Finn is our caretaker, he has the biggest heart and a wonderful wife. He and Sage are completely besotted with each other." Kara translated.

"Elijah is quiet until he's nagging." Kol continued, completely ignoring Kara's translations. 

"Elijah is an introverted bookworm, but he's strong and vicious as any Viking." Kara continued as well. 

"Niklaus the bastard."

"Niklaus is our half-brother, an artist, and one of the strongest people I know."

"Then there's me the most handsome brother-"

"Only cause he has my face. Kol is the trickster, clever but mischievous as Loki." 

"Kara, our resident seer and the only tolerable one of our siblings. Probably because she shared a womb with me." 

"Yes, I see the future. Unfortunately, it's true, I'm Kol's twin."

"Rebekah a drama-ridden slag."

"Rebekah is very passionate in all things and a romantic at heart."

"So welcome to the family!" Kol smiled, proud of his (in his opinion) accurate depiction of their family. "Yes... We're glad to have you back Freya. It may take time for some of us to warm up to you, but Finn has missed you so much. Our family will be whole again, always and forever." Kara smiled kindly as well. 

For two faces who looked so similar, their smiles could not be more polar opposite. One was prideful, one was humble. One was cutting, one was kind. One twin was devilish, the other angelic. Both sides of the same coin. 

Freya picked up quickly that the twins held a strange connection. They were both the same and completely opposing forces. One completed the other in such a magical way.

Freya smiled, already adoring her little siblings, just as the others did. She felt that unseen bond that she had so longed for. 

"It's good to be home."