Betrayal of Blood

Kara had not spoken to her brothers since the death of Louis. As the morning sun rose in the sky, the betrayal ran deep within her. 

Kol tried desperately to grovel. He tried to blame it all on Niklaus. He even tried to convince her that it was for the best. But each time he reached for her hand, he was shaken off. Each time he tried to gain her attention, he was sullenly ignored. It was torture to live without his other half. 

Kol's eyes were red with frustrated tears as he begged Kara to acknowledge him. 

Rebekah, Finn, and Elijah came upon the scene of a tear-stained angel and her two yapping brothers. 

Finn immediately went to Kara, wiping the tears from her face with his thumb, "And what have our foolish brothers done to make you cry, sweet sister." 

For the first time in hours she spoke, but her voice was nearly unrecognizable. No longer was it full of angelic joy, nor light and flighty with whimsical prophesies. Her monotone voice was filled with heartbreak, "They are no brothers of mine..."

Kol felt like he had died all over again. Hearing such cold vile words from his sister's lips killed a piece of his soul he didn't know still existed. A sob escaped Kol, causing their siblings to look between the twins in bewildered horror. 

The twins had never fought. Never been on opposing sides. To Kol, this was worse than death. 

He tried to grab her, pulling her into his arms again but she refused his hold. His hold that once held love and comfort, was used against her. His hold was a weapon to use against her now. She still felt his arms, holding her in place as Niklaus murdered Louis. 

Elijah gripped Kol's shoulder, holding him back as Kara walked away from them, ignoring Kol's cries and pleas as she returned to her room. She locked her doors, only emerging again once night had fallen. 

Louis gasped awake in the water of the river. Images of Niklaus' monstrous face clouded his mind. His sweet Kara's screams echoed in his ears. The feeling of... drowning. 

He had drowned but he wasn't dead. 

He had felt the air leave his lungs and yet as he made his way to dry land he felt his chest fill once more. His gums hurt and his eyes were blinded to the afternoon sunlight. As the sun set once more he made his way back through the gardens. The only thought circling his mind was finding Kara. 

He had no idea what was happening, but he knew he needed to find Kara. 

His ears twitched as he heard the soft cries of a woman from within the garden. Something within him drew his feet to move. Night had fallen and like a vision, there she was. His Kara sat slumped against the stone angel, crying her heart out. 

He immediately went to her lifting her chin with his delicate touch, "Why do you cry, my love?"

"Are you an illusion, sent to torment me? My Louis is dead." Her dovelike voice had dulled and grown grave in her grief. 

"I don't know how I'm alive, my Kara... I feel strange."

"Louis?"

"Yes, my Kara, it is I." 

She threw herself into his embrace, crying into his chest, "I-I'm sorry! I'm so sorry I cursed you with my love. I have damned you... I-I'm so sorry." 

"My dearest Kara. If death was the cost for a moment in your embrace, it will have been worth it. For I have known no joy or love but that which you have gifted me." 

He wiped the tears from her face, kissing her reddened cheeks. "I am a monster, Louis. And you are in transition to becoming a monster such as I." 

"What do you mean, Kara?"

And so she explained. She told him of her brother Henrik's death and her father's fear. She told him about her mother's curse and what it entailed. She told him about how he must have died with her blood in his system and the choice he now had to make. 

"Have you ever killed anyone, Kara?"

"Would we be together... for the rest of our eternal lives? If I finished the transition, would you allow me to remain at your side?" Her lips found his once more, a silent promise that she would protect him and stay with him the entire way. 

When Kara knew her siblings would be out, she raced back to pack her things. The prince also went to say his farewells and announce he was returning to Orleans at first light with his newly betrothed. 

Kara wrote a letter in an ancient Nordic script that she knew her siblings would be able to read and went to the servant's quarters. She found Lucien, waking him from his deep slumber. 

"W-what? My lady?" Lucien sat up, trying to understand why Kara was there. 

"I'm afraid I have a task for you, dearest Lucien. Tomorrow morning I ask that you give this letter to Finn. It is for all of my siblings but be sure, Finn sees it first."

"My lady-"

She hushed him, gently cradling Lucien's face, "Niklaus has told you of my gift?"

"Yes... a seer."

She nodded caressing his face, "You are the best of men... You will face much pain and sorrow in the coming days. I fear you shall curse the day you encountered my family... When the time comes, sweet Lucien. Know that your path has been decided since the moment I chose to let you live... You may one day hate me for that. But know that suffering paves the way for peace, we shall see each other again." She planted a platonic kiss on his forehead before disappearing into the night. 

Kara and Louis were gone before the others returned.

Lucien waited anxiously till morning before finding the immortal siblings. His hands shook slightly as they all turned to him. 

Nik and Kol looked miserable, the agony of their sister's fury laying heavily on them. Lucien shocked them all by approaching Finn and handing him the sealed letter, "Lady Kara has instructed me to give this to you."

Finn was immediately on his feet and snatching the letter from his hands. 

"My dearest siblings,

By the time you read this letter, I will have officially broken rule one. I have followed my own path as it diverges from the rest of yours for a time. In the grief of my blood's betrayal, I have gone. A final view of the future before I go... Dark days approach. Tristan de Martell knows and father is on his way. Know that our paths will one day rejoin, after all, I have an eternity to find my way back... even when I hate you, I shall love you all until forever ends.

Your sorrowed sister, 

Kara Mikaelson."

And with one letter, eternity suddenly felt a whole lot longer.