Count Down to Midnight

After some time, the vampire siblings had assimilated to the noble culture and life in the house of the Count de Martell.

Each night after the others left to hunt. Kara would return first and find herself in the secret company of Prince Louis. Her siblings were out, terrorizing the locals and Kara made her way through the gardens. Under the full moonlight, she saw him. 

Kara knew that in the original story, there was no Prince Louis. She also knew that eventually, she'd have to leave him. But oh how she basked in the glow of love. 

She had never felt romantic love in her first life. Trapped in the hospital, she had only ever met other sick children. So to have someone gaze at her like she put the stars in the sky, was magical. His smile shook her undead heart. His laugh lightened even the darkest nights. She loved him and he loved her. Prince Louis was meant to return to Orleans days ago, but he refused to leave the embrace of his Kara. 

"My love, be careful." Louis tried hiding his smile as Kara balanced gracefully on the stone railing of the bridge. Beneath them, the cool still blue waters had turned black in the darkness of night, reflecting only the image of the moon. He placed a hand around her waist as she leaned a bit too far forward. She only giggled as she trusted him completely to keep her from falling in. 

"You worry too much, my prince." Her bell-like giggles echoed through his thoughts as he smiled up at the wild beauty. 

Wildness was not a thing he expected from the humble noble lady that appeared as an angel sent from God. But as he got to know her, her wildness was the most endearing part of her.

Kara basked in his growing affection. He had stolen her first kiss as well as her heart. I mean she could just imagine the faces of her nurses if she told them she lost her virginity to the prince of fucking France. All was perfect, all was magic.

But she felt the count down to midnight. She knew the clock would strike twelve and the spell would be broken. 

He pulled her down allowing her to glide down amidst her protests. She looked up at him and even in the darkness her eye captured him, body and soul. His smile softened as he leaned into her touch. His forehead met hers as he gazed into the eyes of his beloved.

"I love you, my Lady Kara." He brought his lips to hers as the flame of desire erupted within his heart. The scorching nature of the kiss grew, and so too did their bold touch. His hand traveled her body, memorizing every curve beneath the silky fabric. 

Her hands dug into his hair as she pushed herself further into him. Oh, he loved the sounds she made when he kissed her. He pulled back, resting his forehead once more against hers. His eyes remained closed as she delicately ran her fingers across the sharp edge of his jaw. 

"I love you, My Louis."

He melted before her, whispering her name like a saintly prayer. His lips met hers once more, a fire burning within him. His teeth bit into her bottom lip enough to draw blood. He sucked on the broken lip, unaware of how quickly it healed beneath his tongue. His hands tugged at her hair as she moaned into his mouth. Her sweet sounds eliciting a chorus of lust within him. 

He had the landscape of her body memorized. On those dark nights when they found each other when they would submit to their most carnal desires. She hoped that their love was worth it because he was definitely about to die. 

As she opened her eyes, she caught the faintest glint of movement over Louis' shoulder. She tensed as she hazard a glance in that direction. Louis noticed her tense stance immediately and asked, "What is wrong, my love?

He saw the horror on his lover's face and turned to see what had garnered such fear. He too felt his heart drop to his stomach as at the end of the bridge stood two blood-soaked figures.

"Nik, Kol... Calm yourselves..." Kara moved in front of Louis, trying to shield him from her brothers' wrath.  

"My Lords, I assure you I do not intend to disgrace your sister. I love her with all my heart and have the full intention of marrying-" Louis was cut off by the woman herself. 

"Clearly you don't love your life as those words are dangerously close to being your last... Kol, please calm down, I feel your rage from here!" She hissed maintaining her distance from her brothers.

"We don't lie, Kara. We have never hidden anything from each other and yet you would throw that away for this brutish mortal?" Kol spat back, the hurt showing on his face. 

"So this is why you've been sneaking about? Parading yourself like a common whore?" Nik also looked furious. 

"Watch your words, sir!" Louis spat, trying to defend his beloved. 

"Shut up, Louis!"

"Kara... come here." Kol held out his hand beckoning his sister forward. 

"Kol, it is alright to keep some things to ourselves... I never lied to you, I never will, we are one until forever ends remember...Nik. You have felt the same for Aurora, have you not? Why must I-"

"ENOUGH KARA!" Niklaus spat, silencing any attempt at garnering sympathy that Kara would try. Louis' hold on Kara loosened as she walked towards her blood-soaked brothers. Kol immediately pulled Kara into his embrace, hiding her face from what in their eyes needed to happen. "N-no! KOL! What are you doing!? STOP!"

She was forced to listen, fighting Kol's hold on her. Tears fell down her face as she heard the struggle, then the splash, then more aggressive splashing, and the most horrifying of all... the chilling silence that followed. 

She finally escaped Kol's arms, turning to see that her beloved Louis was no longer on the bridge, but face-first in the water still held down by Niklaus. His unnatural stillness took the breath from her lungs. 

Using her vampire speed she ran into the water, throwing her bastard brother aside as she took Louis' still form into her arms. 

A scream of grief and agony clawed its way out of her throat as she held her lost prince. Nik and Kol both stopped breathing for a moment as they heard their beloved sister's grief. "TRAITORS! BOTH OF YOU! TRAITOROUS BROTHERS WHO HAUNT ME LIKE A SHADOW AND CURSE ME LIKE AN ENEMY! WHY? WHAT HAVE I DONE TO DESERVE THIS PAIN?!"

Kol was unable to speak, tears fell down his face as he was hit full force with an agony that was not his own. He felt his sister's grief as if it was a sword stabbed through his heart. Nik was the first to find his voice.

"Blood runs thick sister-"

"THEN WHY DO YOU CUT ME SO DEEP!? IF BLOOD RUNS THICK THEN WHY DO YOU PAIN ME SO?!"

The clock struck twelve and the spell was broken. 

Prince Louis was dead and her brother's were the ones that killed him.