♡5♡

1963 ♡ Will Rodgers High

As the bell rang at the end of 5th period on Friday, Gracie walked from her American History class to her locker. She noticed a few cheerleaders standing against the lockers, which she recognised from their uniform. Her eyes scanned for Sally but she wasn't there.

Gracie opened her locker, trying to think of what she needed for her next class, when a voice could be heard from the other side of her locker door.

"Hey Gracie," Paul said as he opened his own locker, which was just two to the right of hers.

"Oh hey Paul, any exciting plans for the weekend? Gracie asked with a smile. Despite him being a soc, Paul was always friendly to her.

"Yeah, a couple guys from the team are throwing a beer blast by the river tonight after the game. I've been trying to convince Curtis to go all week, but he still refuses," he sighed. Gracie chuckled, she knew Darry's stubborness better than anyone.

"Yeah, well good luck with that," the girl closed her locker door.

Then, the volume of the cheerleaders' conversation increased so that everyone close-by could hear what they were talking about. "Yeah it will be so much fun. Who are you going to prom with, Shelly?" one of the girls asked.

"Well actually," Shelly's eyes glanced over towards Gracie and Paul before she continued. "Darry Curtis asked me to prom yesterday after practice. Isn't he such a hunk?" She asked her friends.

The rest of the cheerleaders giggled in agreement but a few meters away, Gracie's face dropped into a look of shock as she stood for a moment, silent and motionless. Paul noticed this and put a hand on the girl's shoulder. "Gracie I-"

His words were cut off by the bell ringing and before he got a chance to repeat himself, Gracie darted down the hallway. She didn't stop until she reached her Science class, where she took a seat beside Sally.

"Why are you so bothered about this? He's the football captain, obviously he's gonna bring the cheer captain to prom." She thought, but her thoughts were getting to loud and she just wanted to forget about them. So she turned to Sally and asked

"Hey are you going to the beer blast down by the river tonight?"

"Let's Go Tigers, Let's Go! Let's Go Tigers, Let's Go!" The crowd chanted over and over. Gracie was at the sidelines with her camera, trying to get some decent shots. She had managed to get a clear photo of the cheer pyramid that she was certain would make it into the yearbook.

It was nearing the end of the fourth quater and the score was tied. It seemed like everyone was on the edge of their seats with the anticipation, 30 seconds wasn't much time to secure a win. The seconds counted down as Darry caught the ball. He ran as fast as he could, dodging the defense of his oposing team as he sprinted through the end line and-