♡9♡

1963 ♡ Will Rodgers High School

1963 Will Rodgers High School

As Gracie closed her locker before first period the following Monday morning, she was met with the excited face of her best friend. "Tell me everything!" Sally squealed, buzzing with excitement.

"Good lord, you almost gave me a heart attack" Gracie exhaled, her hand on her chest out of frighten. The day before, she had called Sally to tell her that Darry finally asked her to the prom. Before she was able to get into all of the details, her parents came home and she had to hang up.

"Good! I have been dealing with all this anticipation since yesterday and it's killing me!" Sally spoke, in a dramatic tone, like she was genuinely about to drop dead at any moment.

"Alright alright, calm down... what do you wanna know?" Gracie shrugged, hanging the strap of her camera around her neck. The pair began to walk down the bustling school hallway, shoulder-to-shoulder.

"What happened! Right from the start, don't leave out any details," Sally warned, her finger pointing at her best friend in a joking threat.

Gracie took a deep breath in and out, feeling her lungs inflate and deflate before she spoke. "I was pretty drunk after the beer-blast Friday night, so Darry took me home and I stayed in his because I didn't want my parents to get all hot and bothered," she started.

"Ooh, you stayed in his?" Her friend wiggled her eyebrows, suggestively.

"Yes. The same way I've been staying at his since I was 8. Get your mind outta the gutter!" Gracie rolled her eyes.

"Anyways- the next mornin', he made breakfast and we were talking about what had happened the night before, because I'd be dammed if I could remember a thing" she let out a laugh.

"Girl me too," Sally giggled "I woke up in my bathtub- sorry, I just interupted you, go on!"

"He told me that when I was drunk, I was getting mad because he had asked Shelly to the prom. So I apologised and told him that was gonna have a great time with her. But he told me that he had never even asked her to go with him, she had made that up to make Paul Holden jealous,"

A look of shock crossed Sally's face, which turned into a wide, shit-eating grin. "No way! Oh god, I knew he'd never ask out a socy-too-good-bitch like her! So what happened after?"

Gracie smiled at her friend's enthusiasm. "He said that he was planning on asking someone else to prom, me of course, but I didn't really catch that drift. So I asked him who it was and he got a bit frustrated because he didn't know how to tell me that he was talking about me.
I got defensive then and tried to storm out, and then he just... asked me,"

It took a moment for all the information to sink in before Sally started giggling like a child. "I don't really know what else I was expecting from you and Darry Curtis. It makes so much sense, though. You're both very.... stubborn," she chose her last word carefully.