7

"You know what I like about'chu, Darcy-Ann?" he'd thrown his head back while she attempted to toss a fry into his mouth.

"Yeah," she'd missed, the salted slither of potato bouncing off his shirt.

"Yeah?" he caught the fry before it could hit the floor.

"Yeah."

"What is it?"

"You like me 'cuz I'm pretty and funny," she paused to perfect her aim.

"What else?"

"Stop talking! You're moving my goal!" she giggled.

She flexed her wrist momentarily before finally taking her shot.

Miss.

"Aenh!" he mimicked a buzzer while picking the fry off his shirt again and devouring it.

"Whatever," she grabbed another from its quickly emptying carton.

"What else I like about'chu? Since you know everything," he smirked.

"I'on know. You like that I encourage you, even without knowing all the details of whatever it is you're doing," she took this fry for herself.

"True. What else?"

"Mmcht, boy! How 'bout you tell me somethin'?"

"That's what I was tryna do, but you insisted," he smiled.

She shook her head before looking at the bottom of their fast food bag for additional fries. "Whatever."

He watched her for a moment.

Sunlight bled into the vehicle as trees danced just yards in front of them. And Darcy was elbow deep in a paper bag, digging out spare fries.

He was sure that she was becoming his favorite person.

"Alright, Sage. These the last ones we got, so we gotta make 'em count," she warned.

"A'ight."

" 'A'ight'," she mocked him, earning her a laugh. "So, help me out a lil' bit!"

He said he would, and within seconds, he was swiveling and swaying with the trajectory of the fries she tossed.

And each one was a goal. She cheered louder and louder with every score, ending their game with excited squealing.

"That's how you do it!" She pulled and shoved him back and forth in his seat as he chewed and chuckled. "Woo! We ate dat!"

"Happy?" he asked.

"Pumped! I'm T'd the fuck up right now!" she cackled while releasing her grip on him and leaning back in her seat. "Lemme calm down. Whew!"

He laughed, readjusting his shirt and gathering what little trash was left.

The paper bag became the trash bag, holding the cartons and wrappers that were once filled with food.

"So, go ahead and finish what'chu was sayin'. I'm sure another heart-to-heart will be just the thing to calm me down," she raised a cup from the holder. "Is this mine or yours?"

"What's mine is yours."

"Ohhh brotherrrr!" She dramatically groaned with eyes averting to the forestry in front of them.

He couldn't help but laugh as she tried not to smile. "What? It's true."

"You are so— ugh!" She set the drink back down in the cupholder and went for the other one.