31

Each stride toward Darcy's doorstep fired another rocket of nerves through Sage.

He was excited to talk more, to enjoy some level of warmth he'd been deprived of lately.

He came bearing gifts. His heart was on his sleeve while a grocery bag was in his grip. Ice cream, crackers, and Pedialyte.

He re-entered the home, greeted by the scent of popcorn as he locked the door behind himself.

"Darcy-Ann?" He called to see whether she was in her room or in the kitchen.

"In here!"

Kitchen.

He liked the thought of announcing his arrival home. It reminded him of classic sitcoms that centered married couples, and as he waltzed into the kitchen, he couldn't help but wonder if fate would be kind enough to let him see a world where his life with Darcy would become one too.

"What'chu doin'?" He set the grocery bag on the counter, next to her.

"I made some popcorn 'cuz it's one of the only things I can keep down," she answered. The bowl, half-full from her gorgeing, floated down to the counter next to his bag.

"You changed," he noticed her attire. His shirt and a pair of shorts.

"Yeah. I threw up again and felt so gross, I had to take a shower and just reset altogether," she sighed deeply while wrangling her braids into the rubberband of her hands.

"Well, hopefully, I got some things to help with that," he began to pull items out of the bag he brought.

She let her braids fall against her back, stepping closer as her interest was piqued.

Sage listed each item as he presented them, "You were runnin' low on crackers so I got some more. I got'chu the ice cream you wanted, and some Pedialyte."

"Ain't Pedialyte for babies?" Her eyebrow raised at him.

"You are my baby," he smiled as she playfully rolled her eyes. "Besides, this stuff right here is packed with electrolytes. That's exactly what'chu need."

"Oh, really?" She scoffed while fighting off a smile.

"Yeah. You losin' ya' color on me. I can't have that," he teased with a nudge.

"Thanks for all this stuff, Sage," she slid the items closer.

"Yeah," he shrugged.

She swiftly put the items where they belonged before facing him again.

"Um, thanks in general. For just today," she nodded.

"It's nothin'. It's what I'm here for... Right?" His smile was easy. Broad and warm, like sunlight, as his eyes shined at her.

He always made loving her seem like a breeze, like it was never a concern of effort or energy. Like it was breathing.

With one smile, he reassured her. She took his hand, cupping one between both of hers as she led him to the living room.

They landed on the couch, sitting closer together than they probably had in weeks.

And before Sage could really sit with that reality, Darcy fully closed the gap between them.

He watched her swing her feet beneath her, kneeling on the couch for only a second before she straddled him. She moved so fast that he could hardly process what was happening, but his hands found her hips just the same.

He wondered what flipped the switch in her mind during his quick trip to the store but didn't want to ruin the moment by asking about it. It ultimately didn't matter. Nothing did as long as she was in his arms.