Chapter Three

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

Catherine

I knew Easton was late, and while my brother was growing agitated with his "lack of respect of my time", I was trying to give Easton the benefit of the doubt. It might have been naive of me to do so, but he was the first guy to not be turned away by how different I was to other women.

I so desperately wanted to be accepted by a good man. And I knew without a sliver of a doubt that Easton was that kind of good man.

The sound of horses and a carriage coming toward the house had me standing to my feet. My brother shot outside like a bullet, and when I came to stand beside him on the large, wrap-around porch, I saw Easton jumping down from the seat of the carriage.

It was clear in his body language that there was a huge weight settled on his shoulders, and it deeply bothered me. Something had happened, and it made me worry for him. It was probably the reason he was late, honestly.

"I am so sorry," Easton immediately apologized as he came to a stop in front of me. He held his hand out for mine, and without a beat of hesitation, I gave him my hand. He placed a tender kiss to my knuckles before resting his forehead there. "I had a family emergency I had to deal with before coming here."

"It's quite alright—"

"It is not quite alright," my brother growled. Easton turned to look at him. A lesser man would have been intimidated. Easton just met my brother's gaze with a stern one of his own. "My sister's time is valuable and should not be wasted, Abernathy."

"And I apologized," Easton told him calmly. Something stirred low in my gut at the power he held in his voice, and he hadn't even raised his volume. He spoke sensibly. Steady. A show he was a force of his own. "I do not want to waste your sister's time, Jack. I truly do want to get to know her, but I cannot help when situations arise that are out of my control. I made it here as fast as I could."

Jack looked at me. I knew he was angry on my behalf, but I wasn't upset. Sure, having to wait and weather the unknown had drastically sucked, but Easton had still come. That meant something to me.

Jack finally sighed, nodding once at Easton. "If you do not mind, I'd prefer if the two of you stayed on the plantation for your first outing. I do not want the gossip mill spreading if I let her out with you without an escort. I, unfortunately, cannot step away right now."

"That's fine," Easton told him, smiling easily at Jack. "We'll have a picnic right over there," he informed my brother, pointing to the Willow tree out by the small pond next to a cotton field. "And feel free to come over and check on her as you please. She is safe with me."

Jack sighed. "I don't doubt that, Easton." Jack pressed a kiss to my cheek. "Enjoy yourself, sister."

Easton held his hand out to me, and I placed my hand in his, allowing him to lead me down the steps to his carriage, where he helped up into the seat. Once he was settled beside me, he grabbed the reins for the horses and gently began to steer them toward the pond and the Willow tree.

"Again, Catherine, I am very sorry about what happened. I didn't mean to stand you up for any length of time."

I gently laid my hand on his arm. He looked over at me, warmth shining in his eyes. "I know, Easton. I believed you the first time you apologized," I assured him.

We eventually came to a stop near the tree, and Easton helped me down before he grabbed a picnic basket and a blanket from the back. Once the blanket was spread over the ground, he helped me down to sit before taking a seat beside me and unpacking the food—fresh fruit, sandwiches, and cookies.

"Oh, this is wonderful, Easton," I gushed.

He grinned at me. "I'm glad you like it."

We ate in silence for a little while, enjoying each other's company and the peacefulness of nature surrounding us. Once we were just snacking on cookies, Easton turned his upper body slightly in my direction. "Have you attended college at all, Catherine?"

Sadness stole through my chest as I shook my head. "I wanted to, but Father said no. He was very firm on it, even with Jack trying to persuade him to let me go."

Easton sighed. "I'm very sorry to hear that, Catherine," he said softly. I turned to look at him. "I don't believe in suppressing women like so many other men do. It's not right. You deserve the same opportunities men are given."

I smiled at him, his words softening the ache of my dreams being dead. Crushed and smothered into dust. "You're so different, Easton."

He chuckled. "Not really," he assured me. "There's plenty of other men like me out there. We're just sadly outnumbered by the ones who share the same views as your father." He reached up and brushed a tendril of my brown hair back from my face. "What do you like to do in your free time?"

My cheeks warmed. "I like to read...and write," I bravely added.

Easton's eyebrows shot up onto his forehead. "Write?" I nodded. "What about?" he asked, genuinely riveted.

I fiddled with my fingers, unable to help myself. It was a habit Father would have smacked my knuckles for, but I was extremely nervous to be talking about this with Easton. The only other person who knew I liked writing stories was my brother, and that was only because I trusted him with my life. With my every secret. My brother and I knew everything about each other.

"Love," I told Easton softly. "Women who get to chase their dreams without the oppression of men telling them what is right for them and what is wrong. I write about worlds where love knows no bounds, and women get to choose their husbands rather than their husbands being chosen for them." Sadness lingered in my chest. "I went to school with a girl who was forced to marry at sixteen to a man twice her age. She died during childbirth, and she was miserable her entire marriage, however short-lived it was."

Easton curled an arm around my shoulder and tugged me against his side. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I want you to know I'll never force your hand into marriage. With me, you are always free to choose, Catherine. And if you choose to one day become my wife, I hope I can give you all the space you need to freely spread your wings and fly."

I tilted my head up to look at him, my eyes flickering to his lips for a moment before my cheeks pinkened and I forced myself to look away. Easton sighed, his warm breath fanning my skin.

"Don't worry," he murmured. "I'd love to kiss you too, Catherine."

Dear Lord, my heart.