Chapter Ten

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

Easton

I pushed away from my desk around lunchtime. The house was peaceful and quiet, and when I emerged from the study, Catherine was sitting in the lounge on an armchair, her legs primly crossed with a book in her hands.

"Hey," I murmured, walking over to her. "How were the girls?"

She smiled at me and closed her book, setting it on the small table beside her. "They were great," she assured me. "We practiced their writing and math before I put them down for their nap about fifteen minutes ago."

I leaned down and softly kissed her. She had no idea how much she was already helping, especially since my mother was still missing in action, as far as I was aware. "Thank you."

A pretty blush was staining her cheeks when I pulled back. "You don't have to thank me," she told me quietly.

I held my hand out to her. "How does a picnic sound?" I asked as she placed her hand in mine.

"I think it might be getting ready to rain soon," she told me. I glanced over my shoulder toward the window, sighing. I'd been so engrossed in the books that I hadn't even noticed the storm clouds rolling in.

Dropping a kiss to her forehead, I stepped back. "Can you have the cook prepare us something?" I asked her. "I need to make sure everything is prepared outside." Thunder suddenly rolled, and my lips tightened, my mind on my mother, even if she did drive me nuts. "And I need to see if anyone's gotten word from my mother. Has she been home yet?"

Catherine shook her head at me, worry shining in her eyes. "I haven't heard a word," she told me. "I'm sorry, Easton."

I cupped her cheek. "There's no need to apologize, sweetheart. Please go have the cook prepare us lunch. I'll be back in a few minutes."

She nodded and smiled at me, brightening my mood a little bit. She was so beautiful. Every time I looked at her, I was incredibly humbled. Any man would be lucky to have her, and I was the one she'd chosen to marry.

Catherine, my beautiful wife, was a rare and precious gift that I would cherish always.

Once she disappeared into the kitchen, I quickly made my way outside. The wind was already picking up. I quickly hurried to the stables around the back of the house, the wind blowing my hair all over the place. If I'd been wearing a hat, I would've already lost it, no doubt.

"Mr. Abernathy!" one of the workers called as I drew closer. "I was going to bring this in to you just as soon as we got these horses put away," he said, handing me a piece of paper.

I quickly unfolded it, frowning as I read Lottie's message to me.

Dear Mr. Abernathy,

I was sorry to hear about the death of your father. But I hear congratulations are also in order. I hope your marriage is filled with happiness and good times.

I look forward to hearing from you again,

Lottie Reeds

I sighed. With everything going on lately, I hadn't been able to get Lottie set up in one of the lofts above one of the businesses in Atlanta. But I needed to get a move on that. Lightning flashed across the sky, and thunder rumbled through the clouds right after.

Lottie was going to have to wait another day. Going out in this storm was just asking for trouble.

"Thank you," I told him. "Make sure everything is secured and then seek shelter. I don't want any of you trying to travel home in this mess. Clear?"