Chapter Seven

**This has not been edited or proofread.**

Catherine

I had never witnessed a wedding get put together as fast as ours did. Within the week, I had a dress, my father had everything paid for, and I was standing behind the doors of the church, about to walk down the aisle to my soon-to-be husband.

I blew out a soft breath, trying to steel myself before my father came to take my arm. I wanted so badly for Jack to walk me down the aisle instead, but Pa would hear none of it. Apparently, not walking me down the aisle would tarnish his reputation and also make me seem even more different than I already was.

I refused to feel ashamed of who I was, especially since Easton so clearly adored me for it.

The doors to the church opened, and my throat closed up at the sheer number of guests in the room. Every seat was filled, and every head turned to watch as we began to move down the aisle. My hand trembled in he crook of my father's arm.

I was going to throw up. There were so many people here. I didn't know over half of them! Why were there so many?

Panicked, I searched the room, hoping for the comforting gaze of my brother. But before I found him, my eyes met Easton's.

He smiled at me, and my chest loosened. I was able to fill my lungs with air again. A tentative smile tilted the corners of my lips, and Easton's widened.

That all the sign I needed to know I truly was doing the right thing. No, we weren't marrying for love, but I had no doubt I would one day learn to love this man.

I barely heard the minister as he spoke, and before I knew it, my father was handing me over to Easton. I allowed the minister and all the people to fall to the background, and I just focused on this man in front of me and how his hands felt wrapped around mine. They were roughened, and they trembled the tiniest bit.

No doubt, he was nervous, too. And that helped. We were both make a life-changing decision today. A divorce had never been heard of in Atlanta. From this moment forward, it was just the two of us and what we could make of our life together.

"Please repeat after me..." the minister began.

Easton quickly repeated the words the minister spoke. "I, Easton, take you, Catherine, to be my wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy law, and this is my solemn vow."

My eyes blurred with tears, and I rapidly blinked, trying to clear them away. He released one of my hand and stopped one about to roll down my cheek, a soft look entering his eyes.

Yeah... absolutely no doubt now that I would fall head over heels for this man. I just hoped that my love for him would not be one-sided.

"And now you, Catherine..."

Easton grabbed my hand again, and I tightened my hold on him, drawing in a deep breath.

"I, Catherine, take you, Easton, to be my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy law, and this is my solemn vow."

Easton roughly cleared his throat, a thousand emotions running through his eyes too fast for me to really catch them. The minister spoke a little more about our partnership, and then he said those words that made my heart race.

"Mr. Abernathy, you may kiss your bride."

Easton stepped closer to me, one of his arms binding around my waist. His eyes searched my face for a moment, seeking my consent, and I subtly nodded my head. Blowing out a soft breath of relief, he leaned down and molded our lips together in a soft, quick, chaste kiss.

But I felt that kiss all the way down to the depths of my soul.

"Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, Mr. and Mrs. Abernathy!" the minister exclaimed.

Easton cupped my cheek. "I promise I'll make you the happiest wife in Atlanta," he promised.

"You probably won't have to try that hard then," I teased, relaxed now that the biggest part of this was over. Now, we would just gather in the reception hall attached to the church, where people we barely knew would celebrate our coming together.

Easton chuckled and pressed a kiss to the tip of my nose that made me flush all the way to the tips of my ears. "Come on, Mrs. Abernathy. I believe we have a dance to get to."

He gave me his elbow, and I placed my hand in the crease of his arm, allowing him to lead me out of the church. My brother grabbed my hand as I passed him, and he gave it a gentle squeeze. I glanced at him, and Easton slowed.

"Chase your happiness, little sis," Jack whispered.

Tears glistened in my eyes. I nodded at him before allowing Easton to continue walking me out of the church.

"I will do my best to give you everything your heart desires," Easton whispered to me.

I swallowed past the lump in my throat, but it didn't dislodge it a bit. So, instead of opening my mouth and possibly making a fool of myself, I just squeezed his arm to let him know how much I appreciated it.

Judging by the soft smile he sent me, he understood what I couldn't bring myself to say.