Chapter 7: Sorting Ceremony

Nicole POV

As we entered the room, I saw four tables full of students! The place looked so cool! 'I wish Robert could see this... he would have loved this' I thought. "It's not real the ceiling, it's just bewitched to look like the night sky" Hermione said. "That's so cool" I said. "I read about it in Hogwarts history" Hermione said. "Again, your head in a book" I said. The woman silently placed a stool in front of us with an pointed wizard hat on top of it. The hat looked old and extremely dirty. The hat started twitching and what looked like a mouth opened up. The hat began to sing.

"Oh, you may not think I'm pretty; But don't judge on what you see; I'll eat myself if you can find A smarter hat than me. You can keep your bowlers black; Your top hats sleek and tall; For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat and I can cap them all. There's nothing hidden in your head The sorting Hat can't see; So try me on and I will tell you where you ought to be. You might belong in Gryffindor; where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve, and chivalry set Gryffindors apart; You might be a Hufflepuff; Where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil; Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind; or perhaps in Slytherin, You'll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means to achieve their end. So put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands (though I have none) For I'm a thinking cap!"

That hat finished its song. 'That was one long song for a hat' I thought. "Now when I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head and you'll be sorted into your houses" the woman said. "Abbott, Hannah" the woman called out. Hannah was sorted into Hufflepuff along with a girl named Susan and a boy named Justin. A boy named Terry was sorted into Ravenclaw along with a girl named Mandy. A girl named Lavender was sorted into Gryffindor. A girl named Millicent was sorted into Slytherin. "Granger, Hermione" The woman called out. "You got this!" I said to her. "Thanks" she said and went up to the stool and sat on it. The woman put the hat on her head. The hat soon screamed 'Gryffindor!'. The table started clapping while Hermione went to sit down. Neville was called up and was sorted into Gryffindor which I was happy about. "Malfoy, Draco" the woman called out. Draco went up and was automatically put in Slytherin. 'It didn't even touch his head!' I thought. A couple other people went up along with a pair of twins until Harry's name was called. The whole room went quiet as Harry went up and after a minute, was put in Gryffindor. When Harry went to sit at the Gryffindor table, two boys were shouting 'We got Potter!'. A few other students went and went until it was my turn.

"Rose... Potter, Nicole?" The woman called out and like Harry, the whole room went quiet. I went up and heard a lot of whispering about me. I sat on the stool as the hat was placed on me. "Ah, what an interesting mind. You seem to fit into every house and you would grow in all so where should I put you? Why not the same as the others in your family... Gryffindor!" The hat said as I heard clapping from the Gryffindor table. I went over and sat next to Hermione. "We're in the same house! How exciting is that!" Hermione said. "Yea, I'm glad to be with you" I said. I looked over at Harry as he looked at me with a black stare. Soon, everyone was sorted and at their tables. The woman knocked on her glass to get everyone's attention. "Your attention please" she said as the older man in the middle stood up. "Welcome to Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you now, Let the feast begin!" he said as food appeared in front of us. 'Is he going mad?' I wondered as I started to gather some food and ate. I wasn't really paying attention so when I saw a head come from the table, I yelped. "Hello there! How are you!" the... ghost said! "Welcome to Gryffindor! I'm the resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower!" he said to Ron. More ghosts started to come from the walls, doing weird stuff to say the least. "Hello sir Nicholas, have a nice summer?" Ron's older brother (whose name I forgot) asked him. "Dismal. Once again my request to join the headless hunt has been denied" sir Nicholas said and floated off. "I know you, you're nearly headless Nick!" Ron said. "I prefer sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington if you don't mind" sir Nicholas told Ron. "Nearly headless? How can you be nearly headless?" Hermione asked. "Like this" sir Nicholas said and almost pulled off his head. Ron screamed while I almost choked on the chicken I was eating.