Safe Haven.

Maya ~

I blast the heat in my car before I grab my ice scraper and brush the snow off of my car before getting down to that thin layer of ice.

"Hey, Maya?" someone asks behind me.

I turn to see Adrian, one of the new nurses that was hired after I complained to HR, walking up to me, "Hi, what's up?"

"Well, I was going to ask Sydney, but I've heard to stay away."

I laugh, "She's not the easiest person to talk to. What do you need?"

"I've been here for a few weeks now and I'm just wondering how I'm doing. I'm a new grad so I'm a bit anxious."

"We've all been there, you know? It's something to adjust to and you've adjusted well. I've enjoyed working with you. You're a great asset to the ER."

He lets out a breath, "That means a lot. Thank you."

I smile, "You're welcome. Have a good night."

"Thanks, you too."

I toss the scraper back into my car before pulling out of my parking space and driving home. I pull my bags out of the back and set them on my kitchen table.

I turn on the TV for background noise. I shower and made dinner before sitting down for the night and listening to the news as I scroll through my phone.

"Milwaukee has an MVP! Milwaukee Brewers outfielder, Christian Yelich has notched his first MVP earlier tonight," the news anchor says.

I look up in shock. What?! MVP?

The video plays of him getting the announcement surrounded by his friends and family. Holy shit!

I go to Instagram and immediately see his most recent post. His MVP post. Wow. I can't believe it. I didn't even know he was in the running for MVP.

I want to call him but I should probably wait. I don't want to take him away from his family and friends while they celebrate.

I'm so happy for him. He deserves it.

I waited until it was later on the west coast to call. It's pretty late in Milwaukee and I'll regret it in the morning. But I wanted to congratulate him before I forgot.

The phone rings for only a second before he answers, "Hey."

"So what I'm hearing is that I'm sleeping with an MVP?"

He laughs, "You saw?"

"Are you kidding me? It's all over the news. I saw your post. That's incredible. Congrats."

"Thanks. I appreciate it."

"You're welcome."

"How have you been?"

"Pretty good. We got our first big snowfall so it's cold and annoying."

He laughs, "I bet."

"What about you?"

"Well, pretty good right now. I knew I was nominated but I didn't think I'd actually win."

"You were incredible. You deserve it."

"That means a lot. I truly appreciate it."

"You know I'll always support you."

I can almost picture the smile on his face, "How's Maya been? No strong weather appearances?"

I laugh, "No, we've kept those to a minimum."

He laughs with me, "I was hoping to hear some drama."

I scoff, "Oh, I see how it is."