two

Six days until Press Tour

"No no, we can't do that. There is a conflict. She needs to be at Buzzfeed-"

I tune out my manager's voice, picking at the skin around my nails. Everyone's seated around the glass conference table with a projection board at the far end. On it is my complete schedule for the next two months, including both the press tour and movie release dates. Times I'd be on the red carpets, times I'd be at premiers, and times I'd be with him.

Him.

I have to think about him today. I have to. I can't be blindsided when I see him again in six days. When I have to act like we're the best of co-stars whose only history is the one being made on screen-not off. The tabloids and gossip sites are chomping at the bit for the both of us to be in the same room again. I, on the other hand, am more keen to running the other way.

"Sounds good, Vi?" My manager, Toni, questions me.

Toni and I have worked together for the last ten years. Her vibrant smile and knowing she's always in my corner have helped me through the ups and downs of this lifestyle. I owe her a whole lot. She was also the first person, minus my sister, who recognized I wasn't doing well with my health. With one knowing look on a rainy day in a London hotel room, she dialed the number for Cheryl-professional therapist who specializes in people with a career in acting.

Another rock to add in my well of guilt.

"Yeah, sure." I have no idea what they were talking about but from the looks of a crossed-out date, it appears to be a change in the schedule.

"Okay." She dismisses me with a knowing look on her face that says we'll talk later.

I spend the rest of the meeting actually paying attention and writing about important events on my own personal calendar. I like to add things like auditions, award shows, and release dates on a separate calendar on my phone. It helps me highlight what I need to be focused on in the background before I have my team in my email inbox.

The group of professionals all disperse with soft goodbyes and wishes of luck until it's just Toni and Zahra left behind. Zahra is my publicist, who I've recently hired. She's the one who's worked tirelessly to help keep me out of the media and my name as good as buried this last year.

"Sit, we need to talk." Toni points to the chair I've just vacated.

"Why, what's up? I thought we went over everything?" The chair is still warm when I sit. I pull my green cardigan tighter around my body like it'll shield me from whatever mini-lecture I might be getting.

"Don't play a fool with me, I've known you too long girl." Toni takes a seat next to me, her long black and red braids brushing my right arm

I turn to face her. "Please don't tell me that you want to talk about," I close my eyes. "It," I say.

Toni laughs and Zahra dips her head down covering her mouth with her hand.

"Vi. We have to talk about HIM. Considering you two are co-stars who have to go promote this movie that is paying you a lot of goddamn money. Yes, we're gonna talk about it."

I wish she wasn't right all the time.

"Okay. What's to say?" Anxiety already rips through me, so I pick at the beds of my nails again and avoid looking at both of them. I need to buy more of that cuticle solution Aster gave me for christmas. "We haven't talked since we wrapped," I confess.

Toni sighs and pulls my body into a side hug. Her signature perfume has become a staple in my life and brings a sense of comfort.

"Babygirl, we need to talk about what happened because if you think us asking you about him metaphorical right now is a lot, then you're significantly underprepared for what the interviews are going to throw at you." Her grip on my hand tightens. "Listen, there was clearly a leak on that set that saw what everyone else saw and didn't keep quiet. I know you're human and so is he but the world views you and him as their own public entertainment."