The Vinculum

As soon as you feel solid ground under your feet, you manage to twist away from the angel's grasp on your wrist. What have you gotten yourself into? You chide. This was supposed to be a time away from hunting with monsters and crazy theories and the creatures of God who wanted you and Dean away from each other.

"So I'm sensing you've got a lot of questions," Gabriel raises his hands in defence, palms up. "So, fire away."

"Was Mr Leirbag even a real guy? Did you kill him and take his name? Unbelievable, the archangel! Did you actually do pilates? You always mentioned a Beth, who's she, another angel?" You burst.

Gabriel grins. "First off, sweet cheeks, Gabriel spelt backwards is Leirbag. Pretty upset you never caught on. I've always been him, he's my porno persona, you know? Like," he clears his throat to give an impression, "your kielbasa is ready," and waggles his eyebrows.

"You're insane!" You tell Gabriel. "You're supposed to be dead, too!"

Gabriel rolls his eyes. "Don't you know, darling? There's a rule of thumb. The best never die."

"And Beth?" You huff, turning away from him. It's then you notice that Gabriel has swept you away to the tip of the building, on the roof.

"Balth. Balthazar, to be precise, he hates nicknames. We do do pilates. It really helps with our revenge plot strategies for those who attempted to kills us."

You start. "Balthazar died?"

Gabriel face palmed. "Someone needs to Keep Up With the Kardashians," he mumbled, and placing two fingers to your temple, you froze. Millions of pictures, flashes of sound and little moments fill your mind. The King of hell, friendly with Dean. Castiel's mind filled with a new monotheism focused to worshiping him. Sam's hair, longer than ever. Suddenly it stops, and Gabriel's rolling his eyes. "That's the true purpose of what Dean and Sam Winchester have to do. They save the earth. And then they infest it with first testament abominations. And then they -,"

You can't help but fall to your knees. As Gabriel talks on about what horror the brothers are supposed to do, you can't help but see those pictures all over again in your mind, of Dean and a man with a bearded face, Dean's eyes dark, Dean finding pleasure in hunting beyond the realm of sanity.

"I didn't show you all that stuff to make you cry, doll-face," Gabriel smirked. "But he is meant to do some horrible things. That's why mine and Cas's Dad want to continue him on his path."

You are crying, he's right. But you don't let that stop you. "Do you? Does Cas?" You ask.

Gabriel sits beside you. If he wasn't a celestial being whose natural form was as large as the Chrysler building and you were a meddling love-struck ex-hunter who still had nightmares from the life God had torn her from, it would have been normal, and comforting.

But it wasn't.

So you just sat there on the roof in silence, watching the sun fade away to the other side of the hills to another hemisphere, and willed it that you and Dean wouldn't be separated again.

You had been a pretty badass hunter. He too.

But you didn't want to be remembered as some Mary Sue who cried her feelings and vented to all the wrong people.

"For the record, Castiel found me and Balthazar during a pilate class about four months ago. Got me to play the landlord, and Balthazar's your shadow. Well, you have your own shadow, ________ _______, but he's -,"

You feel a breeze rush around you. " - more charming than a real shadow, and more set on keeping you safe." An accent hits your ears, and there sitting on the other side of you is a blonde man, the Godly family smirk that Castiel hasn't mastered yet on his lips. "In a future you interrupted, I died. Made a right mess being a double agent." He clapped your back affectionately. "It's nice to be alive."

You had to agree with Balthazar. "Yeah, it's nice living, but not when your Dad's trying to break me and Dean up."

Gabriel leaned in to whisper in your ear. "Do you even know who you're supposed to be in the planned reality?"

"God didn't mention anything." You inspect your knuckles, the skin finally healing over the old constantly broken area of skin. Maybe the scars would fade now you were a normal person. "I guess he didn't want to spoiler me up."

Balthazar chuckled. "That does sound like our Dad. But no, he said it's important you know."

Somewhere nearby, you heard a thunder of footsteps. Shouting, little chaos. But it doesn't make sense to you - it's background noise, not making a mark of note. What you want to hear, to be with, is what the two angelic beings beside you have to say.

"You're supposed to be the Vinculum," the voice of Castiel rumbles behind you.

Turning, you see the two you live with. Dean has disparity in his eyes, a deeper feeling than the disappointment that he must had felt to stop an episode of Doctor Sexy M. D. halfway through, and a sadness in the way his lips are pulled.

He knows.

They all know.

They kept it from you.

"What's a Vinculum?" You ask Gabriel.

The honey-haired angel takes a deep breath. "Vinculum traditionally means matrimony - marriage. But in this, it means a bond." Gabriel turns to Castiel. "Are you sure she's ready to hear this?"

The dark haired angel nods. "It's time."

Dean comes forward, settling himself behind you. He sits so his legs are around yours, and you lean back into his chest. Whatever news these angels have to give you, your not sure that you can take it well without your rock. You life. Your boyfriend. Dean Winchester.

"You're not just ______," Dean whispers, his breath hot on your neck, "The lore about the Vinculum says only one can live at a time. Because there only is one, reborn in different bodies, with a sole purpose."

For the second time, you feel hot tears roll down your cheeks. "What do you mean?" You whisper. "Am I the link between humanity and the supernatural?"

Dean moves your hair. "No, that's not what Cas told me. You're much more than just a human, babe."

"You're the only one who can unite demonkind and the angels to find peace."