Tis but a scratch

A/n I'm so so sorry I've been busy with school and I had quite a bit of writers block so I know I haven't uploaded in a while. Please vote and comment!

Tw Injury detail, alcohol, swearing, a small bit of fighting and mention of suicidal thoughts.

It was around the beginning of November now and the first Quidditch match was around the corner. Griffindor vs Slytherin.

Astraea remembered how tense it got for everyone and not just the students. Even McGonagall would get a bit stressed as she could be very competitive.

The funny part is the stares that the houses gave each other. (Astraea was also quite competitive but never liked to admit it. She was one of the worst for it.)

During lunch on the day before the match, a bubbly hazel eyed girl came bounding towards Astraea who was staring with disgust at Suki who had just eaten a piece of owl droppings.

"You are fuc- oh hey Maria," Astraea smiled. The two had began to get closer over the last few months.

"Hey, Hi Suki!" Maria grinned practically jumping up and down.

"Have you put some springs in your shoe or something? What's got you in such a good mood?" Astraea looked at the girl curiously.

God I wish I had that much energy. I don't think even fire whiskey could get me in that great of a mood. Astraea thought with a smirk.

"Well it's my birthday tomorrow! I turn 12!" Maria replied excitedly, her large smile seemed to be plastered on her face.

"Oh that's great! Have you asked for anything nice?" Astraea asked trying to remember what people usually say in this kind of situation.

"Nothing. My dad usually takes me and my brother out to this cafe near out house. They sell lots of meals and my dad gets a cupcake for me and puts a candle in it. I don't really get toys but I'm happy with a cupcake," Maria explained and Astraea listened.

"Though I'm not to sure what's gonna happen this year. I know my dad tries to hide it for me and my brother but I know we are poor but we never complain. I just hope my dad can get a letter here. We don't have an owl so it's a bit tricky. Oh well. I'm gonna see him at Christmas so I guess my birthday and Christmas will be in one," Astraea's smile fell slightly. She never realised that Maria didn't have much money or a way to contact her dad.

"Oh well I'm sure you will get something," Astraea smiled ruffling the girl's hair," so you excited for the match?"

"Yep! It will be the first time seeing it before. And it's on my birthday!" Maria's eyes in realisation," it can be my present! That will be the best yet!"

"Sure would be," Astraea laughed. "How is making friends going?"

"Ok, me and Ollie are fine. And Danica has been great too," Maria shrugged," though I still don't understand why there is house rivalry. What's the difference?"

"I dunno. It's kinda just how it is. Like cats and mice," Astraea explained as Suki began to crawl at her leg.

"Oh. Well I've gotta go. Me and Danica are meeting each other by the greenhouse to walk to class together," Maria gave Astraea a gentle wave and ran off down the halls.

"Ah right come on Suki we need to go have a little chat with someone." Astraea told the little dragon.

Soon, Astraea took down another corridor until she reached an old oak door. The candles near by were extinguished but their wax had dripped down the wall. And for some reason Suki decided to lick it.