- 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲

❏ 9 | nine◌ goodbyes ◌

9 | nine
goodbyes

・○・・○・・○・・○・

   THE QUIET CRACKLE OF DYING EMBERS FILLED THE AIR AROUND THE CAMP. The adrenaline never settled and instead clung to the teenagers, weighing on shoulders and plaguing them with nerves. After Aphrodites proud display at claiming Piper the gathering had slowly dispersed, each person going off to have a restless night in their cabin. Everyone but Jett Monroe.

The darkness left the girl teetering on the edge of sleep but no matter how hard she tried she simply couldn't. She let out a grumble underneath her breath, sitting up and shifting out of her blankets and standing up. Her grey eyes wandered to the gentle thrumming of the fountain in the middle of the room, the rainbow and shimmer of underwater drachmas comforting. Jett slowly snuck to the side of the fountain before sitting down on the edge, her trembling fingers brushing the surface of the water as she simply closed her eyes and breathed.

"Mother..." She swallowed, opening her mouth to speak again before a voice sounded behind her. "Jett? What are you doing awake?" Her eyes met Butch's and she took a small breath of relief before sending him a weak smile. "I couldn't sleep. You know how much of an insomniac I can be." Butch just chuckled before sitting beside her, lacing an arm over her shoulders and pulling her in for a tight hug. Jett could feel the tears beginning to well up behind her eyes and she sniffled, tucking her face into the crook of his neck and squeezing back tightly.

Butch looked down at his younger sister with a frown, fingers beginning to sweep through her hair in a comforting manner. He hated to admit he was terrified for Jett; after what she had gone through in the Second Titan War he had hoped she could live the rest of her life in peace. Have time to recover, live like a normal teenager (or as normal as Camp Half-Blood got). But here she was again— thrust into another quest she never asked for. His eyes looked down at her before he sighed and pulled away gently, holding her face in his hands. His heart broke a little when he saw the tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Jett I know you're scared. I-I know that all you want to do right now is run away," Butch tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, giving her a teary-eyed smile. "But you can't. You know you can't. A-And when you get home, your name in history books, I'll be right there to say I told you so."

Jett's grey eyes stared back at Butch and she couldn't help the guttural sob that escaped her lips. It was a cry for the pain she still harbored from her last quest. A cry for the blood still staining her blade hidden in the depths of her closet. A cry for her future that may never get to happen. A cry for the friends she'd have to lose in order to succeed.