¹°124 AC: THE DRAGONPIG

Vaera Targaryen was a strange girl in her youth. She sat in her mother's chamber as her sister made her way in with her husband, Laenor Velaryon, and her newborn son.

Alicent had requested that the child be brought to her, and Rhaenyra wasn't going to leave her newborn child that easily.

Her mother faked concern when Rhaenyra showed up with her newborn son. "You must sit." Vaera was happily braiding a doll's hair, trying to make an extravagant hairstyle like Princess Rhaenys had.

"What happy news." Vaera's father came in and looked at Ser Laenor. "Indeed, your Grace." Laenor smiled.

"Where is he? Where is my grandson?" Viserys picked the little boy up. "A fine prince." Viserys smiled.

"Sturdy. You will make a fearsome knight." Viserys carried the babe away. "Does the babe have a name yet?"

Rhaenyra started to answer, but Laenor cut her off. "Joffrey. He'll be called Joffrey." Laenor nodded adamantly.

"It's an unusual name for a Valyrian." Rhaenyra nodded slightly as Viserys looked up. "I do believe he has his father's nose." Laenor smiled knowingly as Vaera looked up.

"If you don't mind, your Grace. Your daughter has exerted herself heroically and should rest." Alicent stepped in front of Rhaenyra and took the child from Viserys before walking away.

Vaera quickly discarded her doll in favor of the child. "May I see him?" Vaera asked, and Laenor reluctantly nodded.

Vaera gently opened the babe's face and smiled. "Father, you are so wrong. He doesn't look like Ser Laenor at all."

Alicents face distorted ever so slightly revealing a smile. "He looks like Nyra." Viserys laughed as the smile on Alicent's face dissappeared. "Of course, dear girl."

Vaera pointed at the side of his nose. "See. He has the same spot as her." Rhaenyra smiled at the girl as she went back to her doll.

"He's prettier than Daeron. When he was born, he looked like an old man trapped in a babe's body." Alicent gave Vaera a warning look, as she was no longer amused by the girl.

Vaera simply went back to braiding her doll's hair as Rhaenyra and Laenor left.

~~~

Vaera looked at her brother and her nephews. They waited for Jace's dragon to come from below the Dragonpit.

Vaera stood back slightly as the dragon finally emerged. Aegon yawned, which made her roll her eyes.

She and her twin brother hadn't yet received a dragon, and she was sure her father wouldn't even dare give her one.

Although she wanted a dragon as desperately as Aemond, Vaera was quite weary of them. Once a dragon had taken to a person, they would listen to no one else.

It terrified her to think about something sprinting or flying toward her without being able to stop it, especially Vermax.

It was said that green dragons were the most aggressive, and she didn't plan to stick around for long enough to find out if it was true.