2○ 130 AC: SUCCESSION

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters."

Otto Hightower sat down on the Iron Throne, making Vaera cringe. Only the rightful ruler should've sat there. Her grandfather was not the king, yet he still sat on the throne.

What he said also made her cringe. If the Realm was infected with a disease making them incapable of lying, Otto Hightower's head would be on a spike before he could utter more than a sentence.

"The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon." Everyone's heads turned as Vaemond stepped forward.

"My Queen. My Lord Hand." Vaemond started. "The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas."

Vaera was already bored. "I don't see why I have to be here..." She muttered to herself.

"When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that were they to fail, it would mean the end to their bloodlines and their name."

Vaera looked over at her sister and her sons. Rhaenyra was looking down and had a somber look on her face. She shared another look with Jacaerys, smiling ever so slightly in his direction.

"I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys's closest kin, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

As he spoke, it was clear to tell that he was taking a stab at Rhaenyra's sons.

"As it does in my sons, the offspring of Laenor Velaryon." Rhaenyra bit back, causing Vaera's lips to turn upward ever so slightly.

"If you cared so much about your house's blood, Ser Vaemond, you would not be so bold as to supplant its rightful heir. No, you only speak for yourself and your own ambition."

"You will have to make your own petition, Princess Rhaenyra. Do Ser Vaemond the courtesy of allowing his to be heard." Alicent cut Rhaenyra off.

Vaera rolled her eyes at her mother. Rhaenyra only defended herself and her sons. Vaemond turned to Rhaenyra, and out of the corner of her eye, Vaera could see the sickly sweet smile on his face.

"What do you know of Velaryon blood, Princess? I could cut my veins and show it to you, and you still wouldn't recognize it. This is about the future and survival of my house, not yours."

Vaemond looked at Lucerys before turning back around. "My Queen, my Lord Hand." He started once again as Vaera sighed out of boredom.

"This is a matter of blood, not ambition. I place the continuation and survival of my house and my line above all. I humbly put myself before you as my brother's successor, the Lord of Driftmark, and Lord of the Tides." He finished.

Vaera almost burst out laughing at the lord. Humbly? She'd seen Aegon be more humble than Vaemond.

"Thank you, Ser Vaemond." Vaemond walked to where he was standing before. "Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon." Otto called her forward.

"If I am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly twenty years ago in this very -"

Rhaenyra cut herself off and looked behind her. The door was opening. "King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm."