6○ 130 AC: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY

*note: the start of this chapter takes place at the same time as the Otto Hightower part of the previous one*

Vaera sat on a chair in the guest bedroom, looking outside. She could see the Blackwater from where she sat.

She was still in her same old dress that she'd been wearing when Ser Erryk and Rhaenys took her with them out of King's Landing.

She hadn't been in her regular dragonrider clothes, so there were holes in the dress caused by Meraxes' spikes.

She looked down at one of the holes, rubbing her finger over the edge of it when she heard footsteps behind her.

She whipped her head around, looking at the familiar face standing in the doorway. She didn't know why Jace was there and, quite frankly, she didn't know if she wanted him to stay or to go.

"Vaera..." Jace muttered as she looked up at his face. He looked sympathetic. "Where's Baela?" She asked.

Jace walked over to her, sitting down on one of the empty chairs. "I'm not sure..." He said, looking down.

"What you did was very kind." He said, making her frown. "What do you mean?" She asked. "Offering yourself and your dragon to fight for my mother."

Vaera shrugged slightly. "She's the rightful queen. If I didn't, I'd be a traitor."

"Still. You're Aegon's sister. You could've declared for him." Jace said.

"But I didn't." Vaera iterated. "Aegon isn't truly the only bad person in this situation." Vaera muttered as Jace looked confused.

"What do you mean?" Jace asked. "I still can't figure out why he did it..." She said, which made Jace even more confused.

"Why he did what?" Vaera looked up at Jace. "Viserys... why did he remarry if Rhaenyra was already his heir? Why would he risk having her claim challenged by the prospect of a potential son?"

Jace shrugged. "I guess we'll never know now..." He said. "Yes, we'll never know because he died and apparently wished for Aegon to be crowned King."

Vaera was angry at her father. There were things that he did that she didn't understand. Why would he even wish for Aegon to be King? He never really cared about anyone other than Rhaenyra.

"You know, when I was young, I used to ask my mother if Viserys was truly my father?" Jace looked at her with an expression between sadness and sympathy.

"I would ask how he could be my father if he didn't love me... Aegon helped me realize that he didn't love me." Jace walked closer to Vaera as she stood up.

He felt his heart ache for Vaera. He never knew Viserys was so cold toward her. He'd only known love from his grandfather.

"There are people who care about you." Vaera scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Ah, yes. I assume you're going to tell me that my mother, Aemond, and Helaena care for me, that your mother cares for me -" Jace cut her off.

"I care for you." He said. If he'd spoken any quicker, Vaera would've missed what he said entirely.

"I love you." Vaera was now more disorientated than ever. "Jace, please -" He cut her off again by placing a kiss on her lips, but she pulled away.

"I don't want to tear you and Baela apart. If it means that I have to run off to some place, I will." Jace grabbed her hand, intertwining their fingers.

"I don't care what anyone thinks. I want to be with you." Vaera smiled slightly. Then, she heard a knock on the door.

"My Prince, your mother requests that you come to the Great Hall." The small man by the doorway said.