The Best for the Last?

As we dropped out of extra space, I found myself wondering what kind of world the leader of the Collectorverse entities would find herself in. A water world or a desert one? Would it be hot, cold, or something in between?

I stepped to the flight deck and stood beside a silent Lux to look out the window. I looked over at it. What was it thinking about as the first stage of our implantation mission drew to a close? Did it question Korisahnt's assertion that she was the Heart of Demdagon even though it had identified Point Alpha as the world containing Demdagon's world soul?

If it did, which world did it think Korisahnt was pulled from, if not Demdagon?

"You appear to be thinking hard, master," Lux observed without warning.

"We're nearing the end of our implantation mission's first phase," I replied, looking back out the window. "I'm taking a moment to review everything we've experienced in that timeframe."

"It's been considerable, master, there's no denying that," Lux said. I got the impression that it turned from me to look back out the cockpit window.

"I too have been reviewing the events of the last few days ..."

Days?? But it feels like months have gone by here!

"And I've seen analogs between my previous experiences and some of what we've recently seen. But some have been completely unique. And the variation between the two is considerable."

"Sounds like you could use some downtime as well, Lux. Just to process everything."

"I wouldn't say no," the AI said in a curiously human manner. "I've learned you have visited the Great Unity's Virtual Reality. I may also visit and spend some time in the company of my fellow AI."

"I've certainly enjoyed my time there," I said, still looking out the window. "It was oddly healing."

"Which you needed, master," Lux noted. "Out of all of the mortals I've encountered in this time period, the greatest burden has been placed on your shoulders." It paused slightly. "And you have experienced the greatest amount of growth in your capabilities and development as a person."

I snorted.

"Not hard when you're starting from scratch with a blank sheet, Lux," I said somewhat self-effacingly.

"Perhaps not, master. But, in my estimation, you have shown true growth beyond a foundation state. More so than your peers by a wide margin."

It looked at me.

"It's quite the accomplishment. Be proud."

"Thank you," I said somewhat reluctantly.

"Of course. Now ready yourself, master. We are approaching Lady Korisahnt's world!"

I saw a world that had its surface equally occupied by land and water, both running like tiger stripes across the planet's face. My expression tightened slightly. Plenty of room for sentinels to be roaming about, making a nuisance of themselves.

Angling the Type 4's approach, we skipped going into orbit and bit deep into the atmosphere instead.

- Strange, - my passenger said musingly. - This planet; it feels oddly familiar. -

Familiar?? How was that even possible? These planets, for the lack of a better description, were brand-frickin'-new!

I then pushed it out of my mind. I had to focus on the upcoming implantation because it was virtually guaranteed to be a shit show with how things had rolled out so far. Just one last thing left to do.