Putting the Polish On

As expected, it was more of a challenge to get a heavy ass mecha into an elevator, down a hallway, and have her unlock her door so we can get in, than I was hoping for. Still, we managed and, after carefully picking Naveaia up, I laid her into her bed and pulled her blanket back into place. Then it was back out, locking the door behind me as I went.

As soon as I hit the ground, I was staggering my way to the hub a couple blocks over. Thankfully the guides, which was what I had started calling the little bundles of energy that had first introduced me to the Hub, then escorted me around outside after, were waiting for me. As soon as I was within fifty meters of the graceful spindle, they were all around me to keep me from falling over.

"Nano-beer again, Two?" one of them asked in that whispering voice of theirs as they shepherded me inside. I was too tipsy to tell whether there was a disapproving note in that whisper, or anything judgmental.

"Naveaia wanted me to take her out socially," I slurred. "We just got a little too carried away with the drinking."

"An interesting evolution in her behavior," the guide whispered as its fellows helped me kneel in an access pod. "Enjoy your stay, Two." And the dimly lit cathedral disappeared as the disk beneath me lit up and activated the portal into VR, whisking my mind away into the depths of the Unity's artificial world.

Instead of finding myself waking up in my apartment bed, I found myself standing on my balcony, almost sober as I gazed out through the rain at the ethereal beauty of Grid City.

- Welcome back, Two, - the Unity said all around me, and for my ears only.

"Thank you, Great Unity," I said. "I am here to meet with Siofra, one of your autonomous AI. Is there a way I can contact her and let her know I've arrived?"

- You just did, Two, - the Unity replied. - She will meet you downstairs in approximately ten minutes as she has a distance to travel to reach you. -

I nodded. Just enough time to sober up a bit with a shower.

I had just reached my building's lobby when I saw Siofra step off a transport outside on the other side of the street from my entrance. I could see as she ran lightly across the street, that she had changed her outfit again, wearing an indigo turtle neck and pale purple leggings and indigo leather knee boots beneath a dark purple, hooded long coat against the rain and chill. Her hair, however, was still in that braid with the neon thread running through it and she wore light purple glasses more as a vanity statement than actually needing them, since she was an AI and couldn't have bad eyesight.

I stepped out through the doors to meet her.

"Siofra," I said with a smile. "Sorry about the delay. That took a little longer ...oof!"

My wind driven from me by her unexpected embrace, I could only blink as she squeezed me tightly before drawing back enough to plant a slow, warm kiss onto my cheek, brushing her face against mine as she pulled away.

"It was a bit long, yes," she said, drawing back enough to look into my face, her eyes wide and her smile brilliant. "But you came here exactly as you said you would, and called to say you were here."

"I try to be a man of my word," I said.

"Mm," she said, lifting her hand to tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear. "You smell really good, Two. Is that a new cologne?"

"Cologne? No. But whatever the Unity conjured for soap in my shower does smell pretty damn good," I said with a chuckle.

"Mm-mmm," she said in agreement, her smile now a little more sensual.