Chapter 4: The Vanguard in a Different Light

I immediately noticed that the square, and just about every other open space in every direction, was now significantly more full of Risen. That narrowed my eyes thoughtfully. How many were already down here, was hard to say. But Carthage had nowhere near the space to take them all at the same time.

I was wondering if Hannibal would go as far as to re-billet the Ascendency troops that were in Carthage, to one of the three Ascendency spaces to give us more room when I caught sight of several terrans walking with local Risen, the two groups in earnest conversation. Perhaps not. At least, not yet.

A hand on my elbow claimed my attention. Turning, I found myself looking at a grim Hannibal Barca.

"This way," he said curtly, pulling me towards him by the grip on my elbow. Then he turned and walked quickly out of the jump in point and towards a nearby ground effect transport. Boarding it behind the resolved echo officer, an efficient but basic vehicle provided by the Ascendency, I watched as Hannibal directed the driver to the spaceport and we were off with a smooth hum of power.

"Any idea what they want, sir?" I asked and the venerable old ghost shook his head.

"Apparently it was a direct request from the Vanguard sub-admiral in charge of their fleet segment as soon as they began transiting into our pocket space," he said, looking over at me. It was then that I saw the concern in his eyes. Apparently he thought they might be taking their chance at retribution as well.

But hold on a minute. Didn't they name Max 'Lord of War', or some such thing? Didn't they all kneel to him at the end of the Battle of the Throne of Screams? They certainly seemed to switch over to our side quick at the end there, going as far as helping us get off their cluster of worlds that made up the Throne before they were either destroyed by the swarm of gatherers Garolan rolled in on us, much to Vuto's dismay when he called them in. Or the black hole their presence created at the end of the space battle that swallowed space and killed Max after he sacrificed himself to get the rest of us out.

"Did they sound ... grim?"

"Not sure. I didn't take the request myself. Vuto did. But it must've been firm enough that he was on the horn with us before the docking clamps were set on their ships."

"Well, shit," I muttered, unsure of what to make of the situation.

Then we were darting through a gate in the security wall around the base and down a walled corridor that took us directly to the cluster of articulated landing pads that marked the space port. As we streaked down the corridor, which was wide enough to allow four transports side by side, a monorail line, a walking path and a series of small strip malls with both civilian and military services, I looked out the window in time to see an oversized Vanguard transport drop out of the sky to hammer their breaking thrusters at the last possible moment.

"And here we go!" I said.

The Pathfinders in their distinctive armor were already out of their transport and standing at parade rest when we passed through the final checkpoint and into the territory around the spaceport, Hannibal directing the driver to take us to one hundred meters of where the Pathfinders were waiting.

"I thought all the Pathfinders came on the mission to implant the entities with us," I said, leaning towards Hannibal.

"So did I," Hannibal confessed. Then the transport came to a halt and the doors opened so we could step out.

The Pathfinders immediately began to stir when they saw us appear out of the transport. But, with two of Naveaia's security teams watching them warily, they remained in place while we walked quickly towards them.