Chapter 3: Becoming Human

As expected, the Marstown canteen was crowded with Ascendency troops getting their first meals since being brought out of their captivity. The air was not only filled with sound as we pushed in through the front doors, but it was thick with delicious smells. As we came to a halt to scan for a place to sit, I found myself picking up the smells of bacon, steak, fries, exotic spices, nachos, and was that ... caesar's dressing??

"Those are some interesting smells," Naveaia commented beside me, her skirt suit garnering her more than a few appreciative looks from both men and women. "That would be the food you were talking about."

I nodded.

"A recent addition to this particular locale, thanks to my passenger pulling out an ancient database of nutrients their bodies can metabolize," I explained. "Not sure if you can eat, even with your upgrades, but the alcohol they provide is nanite-based. It was enough to get yours truly tipsy and I don't even have a stomach!"

"Ha!" Naveaia said with a grin. "Then I must try that first." Her eyes narrowed as she scanned the crowd. "I'm assuming we need a seat before ..."

"Two?" a voice called from the heart of the room, garnering us even more attention. "Is that you, man??" Then Kresh popped up out of the maelstrom to wave me over. "We got seats over here, buddy! Come and join us!!"

"Who is that?" Naveaia leaned close to ask so she could be heard above the rumble of conversation that now surged around us as we pressed into the room. Thankfully, while it was crowded, there was room enough for the waiters and waitresses to move through so we weren't pushing people aside. But I also got the distinct impression that if it was standing room only, they would've parted for us like Moses and the Red Sea, thanks to Kresh naming us.

"Kresh," I turned enough towards her to say. "I jumped into him during my shatterverse vision into the Ascendency."

"That must've been disconcerting, meeting him in our Reality," she said.

"A bit," I admitted. "But he certainly took it all in stride." Then we were at the table.

"Two!" Kresh cried, stepping close to give me a quick embrace. "I thought after the blue sleeves hauled you away, I wouldn't ever see you again!" He then looked at Naveaia before sticking out a hand in greeting, a friendly smile on his face.

"I'm Kresh."

Taking his hand and giving it a firm shake, Naveaia nodded.

"Naveaia," she said.

"Awesome, awesome," Kresh bubbled before stepping back to pull out a chair so she could sit down. After looking at me and seeing a quick nod, the mecha did so, letting the terran ease the chair beneath her. I took the chair beside her so I would be in range in case she needed help socializing.

"That is Harm," he said, pointing at the terran woman sitting directly across from Naveaia, who nodded in greeting. "And Jules." That was a male from a near-humanoid alien species sitting opposite Kresh's spot. He made a small wave with a four fingered hand upon being introduced.

"Guys, this is the absolute stud I was talking to you about, Two. And this is Naveaia. Both are over at Camp Carthage with the Risen."

"Ah!" Harm said with a smile. "You are pilots as well then, yes?" she asked, her English touched with a hint of a mysterious accent.

"Naveaia is the flyer between the two of us," I said, looking over at her and holding up a fist. "Death from above."

Smiling from the memory of that shared experience, she gave my clenched fist a bump with her own.