Branches and Bygones

Sitting in the bleachers is something I seldom do. Annie was nice enough to invite me to the football game, but I don't really feel like peopleing.

It's been three days since I saw Abe. We have successfully avoided each other at school, if he has even been there. I muted him on all social media, so he wouldn't pop up on my feeds.

I had assumed going to the game would be a safe move considering he was always off patrolling on Friday nights.

This assumption was incorrect.

At the end of the first quarter, Abe files in with some other kids from our grade. Thankfully he is far enough in front of me that I am pretty sure he hasn't seen me. Right on cue, he turns back to me. Our eyes meet and he gives me a sad smile and nod.

I look away, ignoring him. Classic me.

My phone buzzes.

–ABE– Hey. I don't like this. This isn't us.

I leave him on read.

My phone buzzes again.

Shit, Abe. But it's not him.

–MALWARE–Meet me under the bleachers.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not but I welcome the distraction.

On my way down the aisle, I don't look at Abe, but I can feel his gaze.

Under the bleachers, it is easy to find Malware, their binary code glows in the dark. They extend their hand and I awkwardly fist bump it.

"No, weirdo. What would give you the idea that I would ever bro you?"

I chuckle and realize they are giving me something. In my hand, they drop a flash drive.

"Old school, I know, but I didn't want them to be traced. These clips are a bit more intense, so watch with caution."

I stare at the small device in my hands. Uncertainty washes over me.

"Also, I have one file left to unencrypt. It's different from the rest. Not sure why, but I will pass it to you when it's done."

"Thanks," I say, ripping my eyes from the thumb drive.

"Oh, hey." I've just noticed that Tiptoe and Slammer were also with us, lurking in the shadows. "Something going down tonight?"

"Yeah," Tiptoe says.

Slammer clears his throat to warn her.

"Let's just say a big todo with Cloud 10 is happening tonight and we want to be there to try to catch Matriarch in the act."

"This goes without saying, don't mention that to your buddy," adds Slammer.

"I won't. Plus, we aren't exactly on speaking terms right now. So there's that."

This marinades for a second.

I want to punch Abe in the face right now, but deep down I still care. "Can you guys leave him out of this the best you can? I know that's a big ask, but he doesn't know about Matriarch's plot. Or believe it, at least."

Tiptoe nods. "We'll do what we can."

Then something weird happens, abruptly Slammer squeezes my shoulder. It feels out of character and completely natural all at the same time. I give him a nod, and he returns it.

"Alright, team, let's roll out," commands Tiptoe.

Almost as if it's magic, they recede into the darkness and are gone.

I look down at the flash drive trying to decide if I have the mental and emotional capacity to see what secrets it holds tonight. All I come up with is: I want nachos!

Before I can head to the concession stand. I notice how quiet the crowd has gotten. In the middle of the field, I notice a group of very official-looking people. It's a team of HER agents. One of the team, a liaison of some sort, makes an announcement.

"Hello. I am Agent Turner of Holder Enforcement and Relations. We are here to ask for your help in identifying a group of young vigilante syndicate members."

"Ok. Vigilante syndicate kinda has a kick-ass ring to it."

The agent tells the crowd who to call or text with any information about them and reminds us how dangerous they are. I can't help but laugh.

I'm only in line for a few minutes when the most bizarre thing happens.

"Hey, Noah," a voice behind me says.

I know who it is, but it's almost foreign hearing him say my first name.

He repeats my name and I turn to see Stephan.

There is something different about him. I can put my finger on it. I just glare at him for a solid ten seconds, and he doesn't even try to punch me. I get it, though. In a weird way. There was one time during freshman year, I had the hots for him for like a second. I was staring at him for a bit too long in English class and he noticed. Needless to say, he has tormented me since.

I turn my attention back in front of me.

"Noah, for real. I mean nothing bad. I want to invite you to my party tonight."

I spin so fast to tell him what he can do with his party that the presence of Abe taking a spot behind Stephan and his goons almost makes me fall over.

I look at him, then turn my attention to Stephan. This time I notice it. He is wearing a backward baseball cap with a metallic mountain symbol above the snaps. The logo is so shiny it's almost hypnotizing. He has always taken way too much pride in his hair to wear a hat.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, pulling my attention back on course.

"Come to the party I am having tonight. It's at my Dad's sex shack near MOMA. It's the place where he secretly takes his broads to–"

"I'm gonna stop ya there for so many reasons. Why, after all of these years of you terrorizing me, would you think I'd come to anything you are hosting? Have you even seen the movie, Carrie?"

"Dude, it's a grape branch," he says straight-faced.

"A what now?" I ask, legitimately confused.

"You know, a grape branch. A sign of peace and truce between two people."

I can't help myself, I look to Abe trying not to laugh. He and I on speaking terms or not, this is entertainment at its best.

Abe covers his mouth before he too can laugh and shakes his head to tell me not to correct him.

"I'm for real. It's been too long since we hung out. I want this semester to be lit and I figure it's time I let bygones be bygones."

He knows bygones but not olive branches. I can't seem to think of anything to say that isn't snarky.

"It was Abe's idea," Stephan says.

"I can't make it tonight," Abe chimes.

"Cool. Jewelry making?" I am an asshole.

"But," Abe continues, "thought you might need a night to cut loose."

WTF is going on here?

"I invited like half our class, so I'm sure you will find someone to party with. I even asked Clay."

My interest is piqued, but I know better to ask if Clay is coming or not.

"I'll think about it, Stephan," I tell him before turning to the lady behind the counter.

The weird thing is, I'm not lying.