Unforeseen Goodbyes

I don't notice how uncharacteristically quiet Times Square is as I cut down Broadway. Instead, my mind plays the betrayal over and over in my head.

I just watched a vigilante who is wanted by HER beat the shit out of my best friend.

Rewind.

I just had Slammer, a vigilante wanted by HER, beat the shit out of the famous Crimson Kid.

No, Noah. One more time.

I just made Clay, a guy I care about, beat the shit out of Abe, my oldest friend, in order to save his life.

It's messed up. But it is true. Sometimes the hardest thing to do and the right thing to do are the same thing. But is "right" in the eye of the beholder?

Sadly, this adds to the throw-up feeling that is bubbling in my stomach. I need some emotional Tums.

I remind myself one more time: By the end of the day, a lot of people are going to get hurt. I did my best to protect the one I love.

Huge neon lights and LED screens dance around the multi-block quad. I ignore the buzz of NYC's heart as I remember my mission and beeline to the other side of the street to get to the rendezvous point off the opposite side of the cross paths of Broadway and Seventh Street. My team of misfits is close by.

Looking up the New Year's ball for guidance, I scope out the left I need to take on Forty-First to find the meet-up, an old shoe store that went out of business a few months ago.

Before I can reach my destination, a harrowing sight stops me in my tracks. From the entrance of the Times Square subway stop ahead of me, a river of tangerine-headed loonies flows out of the darkness. I whip my head around and see the other train station north of me also has an army of maniacs flowing from its underbelly.

"It's happening," I whisper to myself and take off in a full sprint.

In moments I am at the sneaker shop. I roll under the partially raised security gate and burst through the paper-covered, glass doors.

"He has released them. Sir Madness has let his maniacs loose on Times Square," I announce before realizing that Tiptoe and Clay are not the only people waiting in our secret headquarters.

"Alright people, it's go time," Tiptoe announces to a crew of almost thirty.

Many of the folks I don't recognize. However, a few look familiar. A range of civilians to wannabe crime fighters. Some addicted to following the adventures of famous holders and others trying to be famous holders. I notice a caped man in all black known as the Hell's Kitchen Shadow and a social media star, Tina something-rather, known for her makeup tutorials and ability to make a moving vehicle out of any junk she finds on the street. I believe she goes by Super Model T.

As Tiptoe barks out orders to different groups of people, Clay pulls me aside.

"You okay?" He knows his question is dumb, but we don't know what to say to each other.

"Peachy," I respond like an asshole.

I can't read his expression because he has his helmet on already.

"Noah," he tries, but the room starts to spin a bit.

All of my feelings and fears hit me at once. Clay must know because he takes me into his arms. I force myself not to cry, but I know the river of tears may start at any moment.

"He's my best friend," I mumble into his chest.

"I know," Clay pets my head.

"I loved him so much." The level of this moment works as truth serum.

"I know. But it's going to be alright," he insisits.

We are going into war with two super-powered armies, and this guy, this beautiful creation of a man, is telling me everything is going to be okay. I am confessing to my quasi-boyfriend that I loved my former best friend, and he is here trying to quell my fears.

The absurdity of the moment makes me laugh. Typical Noah.

I look up at him, and Clay removes his visor.

"Clay, you are amazing," I start.

He leans down and kisses me. A kiss full of love and affirmation that has undeniable hints of sadness in it. He can read the energy I am giving off. Crazy, confused energy.

"Say no more," he whispers. "Let's see this through. And then we can discuss what we are and what we aren't."

He knows I am a mess. My feelings are all over the place.

"I'll be here after the battle. Win or lose."

I hope so.

This time he delivers a sweet, reassuring kiss on my forehead.

"You two done?" Tiptoe cuts in.

Looking around, everyone has mobilized.

"Yes, ma'am. Reporting for duty." I add a salute to complete the persona.

"Good. Take these." Our commander hands us each a body cam vest. "The stream goes live in about fifteen minutes. Every screen in Times Square, two news companies, and the largest online video site will be showing our footage live."

I pull the vest on over my head and remind myself that I can handle this. I have luck on my side. Clay squeezes my shoulder as Tiptoe tells us we are going in two different directions. I am to follow her in finding Sir Madness, and Clay is to go directly to Matriarch.

My stomach flips. Clay knowingly takes my hand in his.

She pushes the doors open, and the light of day illuminates us.

"Let's get down to business," Tiptoe says before darting east toward Brant Park.

"Okay, Mulan," I quip as I give Clay's hand a goodbye squeeze and take off after my leader.