Double-Crossed

"Tomorrow!" I shout as I burst through the doors from the balcony into my room. I contemplate plopping down on my bed and calling it quits, but I go right to my computer instead.

Tiptoe strides in next, and Clay closes the door behind him, snuffing the humming sound of the cloaked hovercraft outside. I ignore the little voice in my head warning me of the dangers of setting up HQ in my bedroom. Instead, I keep replaying the information that Tiptoe delivered to us on the ride over.

"So let me get this straight," I turn to Tiptoe. "Sir Madness is planning to unleash his maniacs on Times Square tomorrow?"

"Yes," Tiptoe replies. "He wants it to be the biggest act of terror in American history. But tomorrow is today."

I grumble when I see my phone tell me it's after 2 a.m.

"You think he has hundreds of maniacs hiding out somewhere, just getting ready for the siege?"

She nods. "Two-fifty, I'd guess. And with his flare for dramatics, I am assuming sunrise is when the show will begin."

"Damn. That is not much time," I point out the obvious as I stroke my imaginary beard.

"And we are all on the same page that The Fleet will show up and pull no punches?"

"Correct," Clay responds this time.

"It's going to be a bloodbath."

Digging through the files that Malware shared, I look for ways to stop Matriarch. It makes me sadder thinking about how Abe is mixed up in all of this mess. Before meeting Clay and Tiptoe, I wouldn't have thought Abe would sign on for some of the dark side shit The Fleet does. But I have seen over the past few months that he is definitely drinking the Kool-Aid. There have been times when it's seemed like he is going through the motions without any thought. I tell myself that he has to be under thought–control.

My gaze cuts to my half-opened closet. On the floor is an old visor of Abe's. He gave it to me a few months ago after The Fleet issued him a new one. I thought I was being hilarious, sticking a smiley face sticker on it to commemorate its retirement.

When my eyes return to the screen, I see it. All of it.

"Oh, shit," I say out loud.

Tiptoe and Clay join me and see what I am seeing: the exact plans that detail how the members of The Fleet also have mind-inhibiting chips in their headgear. The amount of Cloud 10 that has been distributed. Dozens of names of people who have their hand in the infrastructure of the drug trade. Many are well-known bigwigs.

Everything my dad said was true. Not that I doubted him.

"Why didn't I put this together sooner? My dad said she was brain–manipulating people. And she knew Sir Madness before he was, well, mad. She and the city's biggest supervillain are using the same tech..."

"For the same reason." Clay adds.

"Armies at their disposal," Tiptoe concludes.

I pull up STAN's data files. I know there is no way I can prevent Matriarch and her team from killing dozens of crazy but mostly innocent people, but I think I can prevent Abe from taking part in the genocide. If I can patch into the communication mainframe...

I realize Clay is calling my name and am pulled from my thoughts. He and Tiptoe are at the French doors.

"Noah?" He says again before my focus is directed exclusively toward him.

I stand and go to him.

"We have to go. We have a safe house that has some supplies we may need–including body cams. We have to be on the scene when the fighting breaks out. Look out for the innocent as much as we can. And get as much on film as possible."

I smile because he is on board with my plan. Clay takes my face in his big hands, and I nod even though I am not excited about the idea of splitting up.

We share a sweet and strong kiss. Then my two friends are out the door.

***

I hope he buys it. I stand in the lobby of an old hotel that's closed for renovations. The location makes sense since it is only a couple blocks from Times Square. It is believable for Matriarch to ask Abe to look into a tip she received from a secret source about a maniac hideout here. However, in this case, Matriarch was me hacking into Abe's communication tech and prompting AI to lead him here.

I am biting my thumbnail and looking at the mailbox cubbies behind the concierge's desk when the silence is shattered.

"Noah! What the hell?" Abe stands in the middle of the two-story atrium. Dust floats in the air around him.

He looks tired and annoyed, but just as hot as always. This is the first time we've seen each other in a while. I have to suppress a smile and stop myself from running to him. I have a mission here and it sucks.

Abe turns to leave.

"She is controlling you," I say. My voice wavers.

He stops and stands with his back to me.

"You have lost your mind," he finally replies over his shoulder.

My words come out like a river. "Matriarch is using the mind control powers that Sir Madness uses on his maniacs. She is controlling the whole team. She wants to pit you against innocent people. But you can take them both down!"

"That's enough, Noah. It is clear that those nutjobs you've been hanging around with have brainwashed you."

Kettle or pot? I think, but ignore him.

"Take your mask off, Abe. Leave it behind or give it to me and I will destroy it. Sit this one out."

"You want me to walk away, or better yet, go out there and fight without my visor? Which part is dumber, the whole world knowing who I am or leaving my team high and dry in the middle of a fight?"

"I know we aren't on the same side right now, but you have to trust me." I can't hide the pleading.

"I can't," he growls.

"I'm your oldest friend. And I love you."

Abe doesn't budge.

Slammer steps out of the shadows of the elevator hallway behind me.

"Unbelievable," Abe says, shaking his head. He turns his glow on.

This is his choice. His alliance is proven.

Quitely I tell him, "I'm sorry for this. Heart and soul sorry."

"For what," he spits. "We all know my energy blasts can go right through Rocky's skin.

I pull out the sound remote that controls the foam blobs I used on Clay and Malware the night I gave Tiptoe a lie detector test.

Abe lets out a deep laugh. "Is that your science fair project from last year?"

I give him a sad nod and he scoffs before lunging at me.

I pray I am making the right choice as I press the red button and unleash a sound louder than a banshee's scream.