The Last Entry

Just as my curious hands find their way under Clay's shirt, a siren cuts through our heated session. I pause and look at him as though my palms resting against his bare abdomen is what made the alarm go off. He gives me a half-smile and shakes his head to tell me I am being silly.

With a quick peck on my lips, Clay ushers us both to sit up. He goes to the balcony to see if the sound is outside somewhere. In the meantime, I realize it is my computer. Dad's video has gone to the next entry and he is panicked. Flashes of red blast from behind him as he moves quickly down a dim, concrete corridor. He tries to shout over the screeching of the alarm but it is hard to hear him.

I rewind and open my audio settings. With a few changes in the manual setup, I am able to lower the volume of the background and get a clearer sound of Dad's monologue.

I have just found out that The Fleet, well no, I am not sure if that is true–Matriarch for sure– wants to make more holders with the Heroizon elixir I engineered. The product has already leaked to the public and news sources are calling it Cloud 10. In just two months it has already gotten out of hand. Matriarch wants to lure people in. She is willing to kill nine out of ten users in hopes of finding successful holder subjects. Then, when successful, have them join the team, and control their brains with the neuro-inhibiting technology I am developing.

He looks over his shoulder and his expression worsens. The walls behind him start to pass more quickly.

Yesterday, I realized I was doomed.

Chills shake my body. I don't even realize Clay is perched beside me.

Matriarch mentioned some of her plans to me. Needless to say, I didn't agree with her idea of taking free will away from innocent people. I knew Goldfish was going to come for me sooner or later, so I secretly made my own mind blockers last week. They are a similar product as the nuero–shit, it doesn't matter right now. I started wearing them daily since. Good thing I did. I played along when Goldfish tried to wipe my mind. I pretended to be dazed. I went about my work as though I had no recollection of Matriarch's ploy. Thankfully, his power was unsuccessful.

I've been used. The Fleet is using my designs to take over the world. And it's my fault. And I am fucking pissed.

He starts running. My heart rate speeds up. Clay puts his hand on my shoulder.

I have now done the only thing I can. I hacked into The Fleet's mainframe and collected Matriarch's plans to amass an army of mind-bended holders to wipe out every national military in the world. Then she will step in as dictator of each of these major governments. Within days, she will control the globe.

I was sloppy though. I didn't have time to make a better plan. They know and they are after me.

A pop goes off somewhere off-camera. There is no doubt that it is a gun.

If anyone is watching this, The Fleet will stop at nothing to create their own super army. Matriarch is evil and I have to do what I can to destroy the mind control tools and cloud 10 before their plan can come to fruition. I have hidden Matriarch's files safely with my guard dog.

I am so engrossed I don't have time to analyze Dad's comment about a dog. We never had a dog, so it is code for something. Bookmark that thought for later.

I am going radio silent. I may not make it. Please tell my family I love them. And if I know anything about my son, he will somehow get his hands on these recordings. Noah, I am so sorry for getting you involved. I wanted to change the world for good. I hope you can forgive me for this and for never telling you that you're my lucky one.

"What!?" I shout at the screen. But before my mind can explode over being Dad's secret missing piece to making Cloud 10, another bang goes off behind him.

I watch as my dad goes down. The screen cracks and lines take over most of the picture. But I can see Dad still. He is reaching for the camera, blood is puddling under him; a dribble of it comes from his mouth.

"I got him," I hear someone say in the distance.

As his final stance, his last moment on earth, he gives me a fucking wink.

Then the video goes dark.

I jump to my feet. "I need to go. You need to go."

I am about to lose it.

"Noah," Clay says trying to pull me in.

"No, Clay. Fuck you. Fuck Malware for giving these to me. Fuck Matriarch. And fuck my dad!"

Tears start to pour from my eyes.

"I should have never watched these damn videos," I crumble, but Clay catches me.

"It's okay," he pets my hair and rocks me as I fall apart in his arms.

"I am here. I will help."

"You can't. You can't help," I whisper. "My dad was murdered and I am part of the reason for all of this mess. Me. I am Lucky 1. The missing piece to the downfall of the human race."

"The irony," Clay replies.

This stops me in my bawling tracks. A little because of Clay's misuse of irony, but also because he is right. All this time I thought I was just some loudmouth nobody, best friend of a superhero, but secretly it's my DNA that has helped launch the biggest movements of this century. 

And Abe is Crimson Kid because of me.

"You're right. Let's get out of here," Clay tells me. "Go for a walk. I have something I want to show you."