Customs, Customs

There was a knock at her chamber door later that evening. She was surprised to see one of the tundrian hunters, holding a bouquet of flowers.

"From Lord Hunter." The man announced, presenting her the plants.

It wasn't really a traditional bouquet. There were mostly common herbs in there, and wildflowers, considered weeds when grown in any garden. They must have come from the forest.

"Tell Lord Hunter that they are lovely. Thank you."

With a bow the Hunter left. She turned around, her cheeks flushed.

"He gave you weeds?" Junia asked, regarding the flowers.

"It's his idea of a bouquet." She said, still blushing. She picked at the thyme on the side.

"Should I throw it away?"

"No. Put them in the water and place in a sunny spot. It would be rude to get rid of a present."

She wanted to look at it for a little longer.

***

"A servant laughed at me yesterday."

"Do you want to give me a heart attack?" Ella barely had enough time to put on her disguise before he barged into a stall. She had heard he was looking for her again. "What happened?"

"I sent flowers to the princess. I've heard it's a custom here. I picked them myself in the forest. It would be inappropriate to give them myself, so I handed them to Rem to deliver. Later I heard as some of the Brivish servants were talking about them near my room. They thought I was out. They were laughing at the flowers, saying they were just common weeds, inappropriate at all."

"Oh, Kava..."

"I thought that was fine. That I was finally getting something. I picked medicinal herbs and flowers and the ones that can be turned into spices. It seemed practical. They could be used again even after being picked from the ground." He sighed, crossing his arms. "I misjudged again. Everybody thinks it was horrible."

"Well , I thought it was lovely."

"Did you?" He raised his eyebrows. "Did you see it?"

Oops.

"People were talking, and... it's standing right in her window, for everyone to see. I think she liked it as well."

"Ah." Kava said. "Do you really think so? It might be just a gesture. To show her favour."

"Then perhaps ask her."

Lord Hunter paused, putting his hand on his mouth in a thinking gesture.

"I'm having a tea party with her later today."

Ella knew.

"That would be a great opportunity to talk."

"Perhaps." Kava closed his eyes for a moment. "But it will be an event full of customs. We don't do "tea parties" in Great Tundra. I will surely mess something up today as well."

"I could help you." Ella suddenly got an idea. "Meet me here in half an hour!"

He was there, waiting for her as she appeared with a small box. She directed them to a small spot behind the stables where a table was that the stablehands used to eat lunch. She put down a tablecloth and gestured for Kava to sit down. He did so, cross legged, slightly confused.

Ella put two cups on tiny plates, then regular plates, a pot and cutlery. Kava waited patiently.

"We'll practice." She finally announced. "If we try it out right now, you'll be fine during the tea party!"