Hidden

"Lady Sommer." A Brivish servant said pleasantly as the woman opened the door. "We're looking for princess Ella and Lord Hunter from the Great Tundra. Have you seen them?"

"Oh, I'm afraid not, my good man."

"Witnesses saw them ride in this direction during the night."

"I sleep like a rock. I saw nothing."

"What about that gigantic black horse?"

He pointed at a Highland Highstack that was in Veronica's garden, chomping down on her petunias.

"It's mine. I bought it during the fair last week. You may ask any of my neighbours."

The servant furrowed his brow, but he wouldn't be able to question her further. She was still a noble.

"I see. If you spot anything, please let us in the palace know. It's very important."

"Of course."

Veronica slammed the door in the man's face.

Ella almost immediately appeared in the corridor, grabbing Veronica's hands with a grin.

"Thank you, Veronica. You don't know how much it means to me."

"I suppose not." The woman chuckled. "Don't worry about it. It's the least I could do."

Veronica was mostly worried about the imposing warrior in wolf furs currently sitting in her living room and looking worried, but she owed both of them. And Ella had been her friend for years.

"The horse wandered to the front again. Someone saw it."

I'll tell Kava to take care of it.

Veronica followed her to the living room. When they slammed at her door in the middle of the night she was sure she had to give them shelter and save their love. Now it was more awkward in the light of the day, where she had no idea if she should offer them tea or anything at all. They have been just sitting there since they arrived, after Ella had told her the story of their escape. They were lucky Veronica hadn't been invited to the engagement, otherwise she wouldn't have been home at all.

Ella grabbed the warrior's hands. It was a weird sight, her in a light yellow dress dirty from mud and stripped off the sleeves, and the tundrian in a leather armour, both looking at each other with such devotion.

"This is the craziest thing I've done in my life." Ella said with a laugh. "But it's going to be okay. I have a summer mansion in Carlonne, and my distant aunt lives in Treecourse. I'm sure she would take us in. We can hide away and wait."

"Wait for what?" Kava said softly, kissing Ella's hands. "We would need to start a new life, away from it all."

"We can stay in Brivania or travel. To Great Tundra, to Slovakia, to North Hazma. We can be together somewhere else."

"I would want nothing more, Ella. But are you sure? We can still go back. I'll take the blame onto myself."

Ella took Kava's face into her hands, looking the warrior straight in the eyes.

"I will not allow it. I want to be with you. Damned be the country and the king. I want to live by my rules. I've already done so much for the country."

"That's treason." Kava smiled nervously. "But before you commit to me, I have to tell you something."

"You don't have to. I know everything there is to know about you." Ella caught the huntress' lip in a kiss again. How indecent, Veronica thought, blushing. And yet she envied. "I know you, Kava."

"No, you don't know everything. Ella, let me tell you something. It's important. Crucial."

"You don't have to. I know."