Bittersweet Goodbyes

"There was a herald at the marketplace." Lady Sommer recounted quickly, barely putting down her shopping. "The guards found her while patrolling the forest, they didn't say when. She's being kept in the palace as a prisoner. The Tundrians are very angry about it. They were evicted out of the palace, but they set up tents in the forest right outside. They are getting ready. Maybe waiting for reinforcements."

Ella was frozen in shock.

"Kava... was captured?" She whispered. "And the herald announced it?"

Veronica nodded solemnly.

"It was to warn people to stay away from the Tundrians. The entire city might become a warzone soon enough."

Ella felt sickness raise up to her throat. Kava was trapped. If she hadn't revealed that she was Rose, Kava wouldn't have had an episode, and she wouldn't have run off to have it safely in the forest. Maybe she should have pretended she hadn't known about Kava's sickness and that would be that. Now it was a disaster.

What if the huntress was hurt? Surely King Vasil wasn't soft on her. What if he was torturing her? He had been adamant on the whole situation being the Tundrains' fault, so he was surely mad at Kava in particular. He could be doing all sorts of awful things to her. Imprisonment, public humiliation, torture. Great Tundra surely wouldn't allow Brivania to keep such an important political figure in a prison long, but because they had to wait for reinforcements, Vasil was free to interrogate Kava and torture her however he wanted. What if he wanted to kill her in his rage over this political disaster?

Ella had to save Kava.

She got up.

"I'm going to the palace. I have to get her out."

"Ella! Think about it!" Veronica gasped. "If you go to the palace now, you will get arrested as well. Or perhaps not arrested, but your father will keep you away from everyone, imprisoned."

"I know. But I can't leave Kava there." Ella said firmly. "I won't meet with my father. I'll go incognito."

She grabbed the wolf hide that had been carefully put aside, and slipped it on her head. It was too large, dragging on the floor and falling on her eyes. She used her hair pins to secure the head from obstructing her vision, and folded the rest of the fur and tucked it tightly behind her belt. She was well aware she looked ridiculous, in her pastel yellow dress she had from the engagement party, dirtied with mud, frivolous shoes that had lost their heels somewhere on the way, and a black headpiece made from a wolf hide. Ella attempted to mount the enormous black Rex Kava had left behind, and only managed so with the help of Veronica.

"Give me a moment, Ella, and I'll go for my horse." Veronica said, but Ella stopped her immediately.

"Stay here. This is my mess and I will solve it."

"You need allies. You need me."

Ella smiled gently.

"Stay. Your hands need to recover. I'll be quick and discreet. One person has a bigger chance to get near the palace unnoticed."

"Not on this horse."

"I know the grounds like the back of my hand. I'll be safe. Thank you for everything."

Veronica squeezed her hand.

"Be careful. Good luck."

Ella kicked her heels, and Kava's horse reluctantly followed her instructions. She rode straight towards the palace, only taking a detour when she could spot it. She directed the horse to the forest, leaving it when the thicket became too thick to go through. She spotted King Savi talking with a group of hunters. She had to approach him. She had to get him to help her.