Some tea, Lord Hunter?

Ella entered the downstairs living room.

Kava was already there, standing up as soon as she appeared. He looked serious, bowing his head with a hand on his heart when she entered.

She wished he was more relaxed. If only he knew.

"Lord Hunter, how pleased I am for you to join me." She said officially while the servants were closing the door.

"As am I." He responded. That was good. No more silence.

"Please, sit." She said, fixing her dress while taking a seat on the other side of the small table. That was closer than they had been while she was a princess ever. "How did you spend this wonderful sunny day?"

Kava stiffly sat down on the fluffy chair. He made the smallest move to lean forward, but caught himself and instead leaned all the way back, sinking into the seat back. He still crossed his legs, forgetting about putting them on the ground instead.

One lesson wasn't enough to get every custom into his head. Ella didn't mind. She wouldn't mind many things, the problem were the servants. She wished they could go out, eat by the rickety table behind the stables again instead of dining in this fancy room, observed, the topic of all the gossip. He would feel more comfortable. She would too. If only he knew Rose and Ella were the same person.

"I was outside." He said curtly. She knew he had spent most of the day with her, practising the party he was now attending.

"I see."

She took the teapot, pouring his tea first, then hers. He was observing the light brown liquid flow into the gold painted cups. She handed one of the cups to him.

"How do you take your tea, Lord Hunter?"

He narrowed his eyes. She was hoping she didn't sound identical to Rose and he wasn't putting it together. Although maybe it would be better if he did.

"As is."

Ella put one sugar in and added just a splash of milk. She couldn't help herself from commenting with a gentle smile.

"Are you saying that because you enjoy your tea plain, or are you intimidated by all the dishes on the table?"

His dark eyes were unreadable. It could seem that she had offended him if not for a gentle tilt of the corner of his lips. She wouldn't have spotted it if they hadn't spent so much time together.

"I've faced bears and wolves with nothing more than my bare hands. I think it would take more than sugar or honey to intimidate me." He said seriously. She knew he was joking around, it was just light banter.

"Oh? Be my guest then."

She took a sip first. The tea was delightful. She was observing him through her lashes. He made the smallest sip.

His mouth turned downward. He didn't even manage to fix his expression when she properly looked at him. He tried, but he seemed entirely displeased.

"Is it not good?" She asked innocently.

"N— No, it's good."

He took another sip, displeased even more. Ella hid her smile behind her cup.

"Well, feel free to add something to sweeten it up."

"It's not about sweetness." He said before bitting his tongue. "I apologize."

"Please, go ahead. What's the problem with the tea?"

He clearly fought with himself for a moment.

"Speak freely. We're alone here, and I won't tell." His eyes flickered to three servants standing behind her sofa. "As alone as we'll be before the wedding, I suppose."