It's not lying |2|

The cold wood floor chills my feet as I pad back and forth in front of my desk

The cold wood floor chills my feet as I pad back and forth in front of my desk. I've almost worried my nails down to the bone with my teeth. "Go over it again," I ask Poppy.

She sighs and stills the swing I have for her on my desk to a stop. "His name is Kiki Son. Five-nine, and a hundred-thirty-nine pounds. He has black hair, and sharp thin features. He was scheduled to arrive at Tendail's at six p.m. and was to be targeted between-"

"That's not helpful, Poppy," I groan as I sink my fingers into my frazzled hair.

Poppy hops off the small fairy swing I have setting on my desk for her and walks to the edge of the pine tabletop. "Calli, are we in trouble again?"

Her timid voice rips through me. There isn't much else the family council can take away from me. I glance down at my little green-haired beauty. Concern turns like a mass of worms in my gut. What if they take her away?

"No," I lie before sinking into my desk chair.

Poppy walks over and sits down next to my arm, resting on the desk. She leans against me and gently pats my forearm, trying to comfort me.

I still have to send her to the ethereal with our daily report.

I can't let her report back what happened tonight. Whatever the punishment is, it won't be good. I lean forward, staring down at my pixie. I have to word this right. Otherwise, she won't understand. "Tonight didn't go exactly to plan, Poppy."

Her yellow eyes widen. "Boy, that's an understatement."

My shoulders drop with the added weight of irritation on top of the fear and guilt weighing them down.

"I think it's best if maybe we don't tell the council exactly what happened."

Poppy's fair features contort in confusion as her head tilts to the side. "I have to report back the results of all your assignments, Calli, you know that."

"I know," I huff, trying to hide my frustration. "I'm not telling you not to report it, I'm just saying, maybe don't point out I missed Mr. Son."

Poppy's thin, green brows shoot up into her bangs. "You know I can't lie."

"I know!" I snap, making Poppy jerk back.

I take a deep breath. Her not being able to lie isn't a choice. It's part of the reason the council has us use pixies as aids because they can only speak the damn truth. "I know, but you don't have to say that I missed Mr. Son. You can just tell them that I hit the target."

Poppy grows very serious, "You most certainly did not hit your target, Calli."

"True." I nod. "But I might have hit a target. We don't know if that girl was meant to be hit by someone else, so I might have just done someone's job for them. When they ask just say complete."