19|Baby Steps

Elianna's POV

I wiped the sweat off my face as I took a sip of my water.

Enzo dragged me out of the bed to this park so we could plant trees.

Seb l forced everyone to wear white shirts.

He didn't say a word to me for the whole morning.

I thought we were getting somewhere the other day but I guess we were back to stage one.

Sebastian walked in.

We had started an hour ago.

"Where is Isabella?" I asked.

He smiled. "With her mom."

"How come I didn't know you had a kid?"

He started digging a hole with his tools. "Her mom and Enzo hate each other so I don't really talk about her."

"How does he always manage to get people to hate him? It has to be on purpose," I said and he laughed.

"Catherine found out what I actually did and blamed it on Enzo and of course he got mad and tried to kill her. From ever since they hated each other," he explained.

I shook my head as I placed another plant into the hole.

"Why are we even doing this?" I asked. "Did he kill the people who used to do this?"

He laughed. "No, it's kind of like a promotion slash community service thing."

"For what?" I asked.

"Since he owns a hardware and garden store."

I snapped my neck towards him. "He what?"

"The business he is the CEO of," He told me. "It caters for hardware and gardening supplies."

"Pause," I said before moving closer to his ear. "Doesn't he kill people for a living?"

He looked at me and started to laugh.

I was dead serious. I didn't know how any of this worked. He never explained anything to me.

My whole life, I have been hidden from this world.

"No Elle," he laughed. "This is his business front."

"Oh," I said even though I still didn't understand.

I can't picture Enzo in some garden shop helping old ladies pick what plant they wanted.

He must have seen my confusion on my face because he turned to me. "Do you even know what Enzo actually does?"

I shook my head.

He sighed. "Maybe he doesn't want you to know."

"He is so secretive about everything. He wouldn't even tell me why he has so many cars," I complained.

He laughed. "You have to get him to trust you."

"Why should I get him to trust me? It should be the other way around. He's the shady one!"

"Have you ever considered that Enzo thinks the same way about you?"

"For what reason? I'm literally just a dancer. He knows everything about me," I said and he gave me a look. "What? Did he say something about me?"

He shook his head. "Enzo never talks about you."

"Ouch," I said as I patted the dirt down.

"It's not you, it's him. He never talked about his ex. He never really tells me how he feels. That is what makes me so annoyed. He pretends like he's okay but I know that he is barely keeping his shit together."