two

"He's got the Princess," Lloyd realized

The green and peach ninja pulled their hoods over their heads and raced after the kidnapped princess. They had to admit, the assailant was pretty good. As Lloyd fell behind when faced with a sea of laundry lines, Y/n propelled herself over to the roof where the kidnapper stood.

Lloyd yelped as the ladder he clung to began to creak, but the so-called abducted caught his hand and pulled him up.

"Who are you?" the ninja demanded in unison.

"He" took his hood off, revealing the Jade Princess herself.

"Oh. Princess? We thought you were kidnapped," Lloyd explained sheepishly. "I was trying to save you."

"Was that what that was?" Harumi chuckled. "From my vantage, it looked like I was the one saving you."

Lloyd ignored her comment.

"Then what's in the bag?" Y/n asked.

Harumi loosened the tie of her bag to show the contents of it. "Food. For the less fortunate. Even though I'm confined to the palace, I still try to give what I can."

Lloyd looked gobsmacked. "But your bedroom- It was ransacked."

Harumi's face flashed with something Y/n couldn't quite read before Harumi acted bashful. "Yes, I can be quite a slob. Thank you for noticing.

Unfortunately, Lloyd didn't catch Harumi's slip. "I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean-"

Did I imagine it?

From afar, Hutchins' voice echoed, "The Princess is gone! Find her!"

Harumi's eyes widened. "They can't know I left the palace." She produced a green jacket. "You have to disguise yourselves. Hurry."

She handed the jacket to Lloyd, leaving Y/n empty handed.

Um, with what?

Luckily, Y/n was prepared for situations like these, and she folded down the torso of her gi to act as a skirt. Her white blouse underneath made the outfit look like a shirt tucked into a skirt. Thank the FSM for all those times she'd played dress-up as a kid.

Down in the less fortunate streets of Ninjago, Harumi passed out fruit and treats to the people. "Some things are easier to do when you're not a princess," she told the two. "If I asked my parents, they would never allow it. But these people are hungry. And we have so much food in the palace." A swarm of children crowded around them. "Patience, little ones. There's enough for each of you," she said gently and relinquished the bag to the children.

Harumi and Lloyd drifted away to a bridge that arced over the river that divided the street. Y/n stayed on the ground, not wanting to interrupt. Seeing them speak and connect in the moonlight made her heart ache, but she was glad Lloyd had found someone to talk to.