13th ☾ Treacherous Heart

Crossing paths, I want to take my feet off here,

We're colliding, the nights thriving in fear.

13th

Treacherous Heart

"Your face doesn't seem that familiar. I'm sure I've known the Duke of Merillain's daughters quite well," Henry answered, studying me closely.

I cursed in my mind. So he knew the daughters of that duke. I trifled on what I was supposed to do; the dead silence ticked on as I panicked inside. And I wasn't sure if it was only my imagination. But since they had entered the room, the Head Sorcerer also hadn't taken his eyes off me.

I placed my best hopes on what Anthony had told me before, repeating it over to myself. The Head Sorcerer couldn't see through me. Nobody could peer in my identity. He was merely curious, perhaps.

"She's one of his daughters, Your Highness. I've paid them a visit earlier this year. I've known her since then," said Lancelot, coming to my rescue.

"Clave, is my child telling me that I am wrong?" Henry turned to his Head Sorcerer.

"I'm not sure, Your Highness. It seems like it," Clave indifferently answered.

Without saying another word, Henry went past me, heavily dragging his feet towards Lancelot. I caught my breath, turning my head back. My eyes were on Henry's sword. It was the worst thing I could imagine to happen.

But Henry raised his right hand, the one devoid of a sword. And with a forceful slap on the face, Lancelot fell straight to the floor, hurting his back when he hit the bedpost.

I couldn't say a word, as I began to shake uncontrollably.

Henry repeatedly kicked Lancelot in his stomach. There was pleasure in his hideous eyes. Lancelot could only scream in pain. There was a thick trail of blood seeping out of his open mouth and down his chin.

Stop it.

Tears were building up inside me, taking one step forward towards the pitiless tyrant. I knew it wasn't the right time yet. There was nothing I could do against this immortal. But Lancelot had only helped me find Alec Forthwind's location. It wasn't his fault. This was wrong.

Don't move from where you are standing. There was a voice in my head.

My eyes widened in astonishment. Only one person in this room could have done that. I turned to the tyrant's Head Sorcerer. Like what I thought, his eyes were pinned on me—dark and void. Without a word, the sorcerer subtly shook his head.

Could it be possible?

I'm in your thoughts, aye, lovebird. You are right. But don't get me wrong, I'm not helping you. We're not on the same side here. But I feel sorry for you, so I'm telling you this. Stand where you are, got it? Do not intervene.

Mind intrusion.

Clave, the Head Sorcerer, was doing mind intrusion, a far-advanced spell. This could only be done if a sorcerer was powerful enough to break down the barrier in another person's thoughts and make his way in.

Who was this person? Even Anthony hadn't mastered this skill yet. It was one of his frustrations, and I believed Bryce when he said that Anthony was one of the most powerful sorcerers in Incantasi. For he was. I'd seen it for myself.