14th ☾ Moonlight Encounter

Standing in the moonlight,

Tell me your lies tonight.

14th

Moonlight Encounter

"Anthony will be coming with me, so don't make drastic moves while we're away," Bryce said to Wilson, slightly turning his head to Caspar while waiting for affirmation. We got back to our main camp in Vuscatanell, before leaving for Wedgemore. Bryce called in for a short meeting a while ago, discussing our trip. After the meeting, he called Wilson and Caspar and left the group in their care.

"Alright, I'll stop the trading for a while," Wilson replied.

"Got it, boss," Caspar said. "Count on us."

Wilson turned to me. "Come back safely, okay?"

I scrunched my nose, saying, "You bet I will."

"Don't go wandering off on your own," Wilson kept on reminding me. "If you get lost, look for Bryce and Anthony first thing. You can't do this on your own."

"I'll stay out of danger's way if that's what you're worried about," I replied, adjusting my cape.

"If only I could come, Miles," Wilson said, sounding regretful.

"There. There," I replied, placing a comforting hand on his buff arm. "There's no need to worry about me. We'll be back before you know it."

"He really can't afford having Miles out of his sights." Bryce stifled a laugh.

"What are you going to do in the Northern Marsh, boss?" Caspar asked Bryce, chewing a straw.

"Can't say for now," Bryce casually replied.

"Don't worry about here while you're gone," Caspar said.

"Stop going to the market and chasing those girls, Caspar. Wilson will be needing a hand to work things around here," Bryce answered, picking up his own cape and flinging it over his shoulders. Even when covered, the bulge of the huge sword on his back stood out. He carried it today. I would never forget that sword, for it was the same one he had used to save me from the royal guards when I was twelve.

"Oh, man," Caspar whined, scratching the back of his head.

"Too bad, Caspar," I added, adjusting the scabbard on my left hip. I'd been practicing a lot with my sword lately. Bryce didn't ask for my reason. Instead, ever since we'd found out that Clave was working for Henry, Bryce had been more focused and willing to teach me. I seldom found him sleeping around these days. If he was not training me, Bryce was busy discussing change of tactics with Anthony.

"Let's get going, Miles," Bryce called out, mounting on his horse. I walked over to Bryce, took his hand, and swung my right leg over the horse.

"We better head out." Anthony was already up on his white horse, waiting for us to finish discussing.

I waved one more goodbye to Wilson and Caspar, before we had ridden off. As we trod the dirt path to Wedgemore, I looked to my right and watched as the large, softly lighted sphere rose slowly into the dimly lit morning sky. Its beams spread out in every direction, casting blinding lights to the sleeping town. And as it climbed higher and higher up to the sky, I felt more and more alive, as if it was giving us hope that a brighter day was about to come.

♡ ♥ ♢ ♦ ♤ ♠ ♧ ♣

A day later, we were up on a hill that gave a clear view of Wykeham Castle. I remembered Lancelot again, and I wondered how he was doing. Henry locked him up in his mother's room, and there was no telling what else he had done to him after we had left.