4th ☾ A Vow of Revenge

Living with your memories

Knocking, knocking down my walls.

4th

A Vow of Revenge

"Cassandra, look at this," said my mother, handing me a silver locket.

Carefully holding it in my hands, I opened the locket to see what was inside. I saw my portrait on one side, but the other one was empty. "Isn't this your locket, Mother?"

"Your grandmother gave it to me when I met your father. I recently saw an old friend who is a painter, and I asked him to make a small portrait of you. From now on, this necklace is yours," my mother answered as she got the locket out of my hand and placed it around my neck.

"Why?" I asked.

"I hope you will meet a good man someday. And when you found him, put his portrait on the other side. This way, you two will always be together," my mother told me.

"You mean we'll never be apart? Like you and Father?" I innocently asked.

"Yes, dear, it will be that way," she said, smiling, her chestnut hair flowing wildly in the air.

Then after saying those words, she slowly disappeared. Her facade gradually faded towards the blinding light. I tried to reach for her, staggered and held back in place.

"Mother! Mother! Where are you going?" I called out. But in a moment too soon, she wasn't there anymore.

♡ ♥ ♢ ♦ ♤ ♠ ♧ ♣

"You'll wake her up. Shhh. Shhh," the voice kept on saying.

Dazed, I opened my eyes and pulled myself up. My breathing was uneven. I put my arms around me, hushing my fears down. The nightmares had never stopped. I wiped away the sweat beads covering my forehead with my soiled dress. I lost count on how many days had passed since I last took a bath, and I smelled horrendous. If Ira were here, she'd pour a bucket of cold water on me.

I wondered what happened to Ira. But even if I wanted to, I knew better now not to endanger her as well. As Bryce had told me, even crooks like him weren't chased by the royal guards. It would take a lot for that to happen. And I knew Bryce still doubted if I was telling him the entire truth. Only time could tell that I wasn't fooling him.

But time left for... who?

By now, the castle was already informed that I was alive. Whatever this seal meant, they knew that I possessed it. What exactly did they want from me? From this seal? Who was I to be chased by the most powerful man of the land?

Adjusting the sling for my broken arm, which the healer of Bryce's group said was going to be healed soon, I tidied my hair, only to realize that no one cared what I looked like around here. Putting down the broken hand mirror that Bryce gave me as a consolation for joining their group, I settled to dusting myself and tidying the wool blanket that had been my preferred company for weeks.

Spoiled brat, Bryce usually called me, as I crawled into my tent and slept from the time the sun had risen to the hour it had set. It was almost a miracle that he hadn't kicked me out yet, or dropped me from the top of a cliff in annoyance. I'd better get some perspective before Bryce would really call it quits with me.

I heard footsteps coming my way. "Are you awake now, your royal highness?"

"No, come again tomorrow," I replied from inside crowded the tent.