16th ☾ Vile Suspicions

I stay awake at night and deep inside I scream,

As traces of your lips keep haunting my dreams.

16th

Vile Suspicions

"Oh, you're still around?" said Alec to Lancelot, who was standing beside me.

"Yes, I find this town quite intriguing," Lancelot stalled with the words, as I hastily pulled the edge of his shirt. He confusedly looked at me. I eyed for the door, motioning for us to go this instant.

But before I could make a move, Alec asked his grandma again, "Who's looking for me?"

"This young man here." Esme pointed to me, whom she had noticed was already in distraught and feeling uneasy.

"Not like this," I said under my breath, closing my eyes and realizing that this was how Alec Forthwind would meet me. I had no other choice. I needed to think of another tactic on how to convince him.

Alec turned his gaze at me. With a courteous smile on his face, he said, "Hi there. I'm Alec Gaunt. Were you looking for me?"

"Yes," I said, taking in the name—Alec Gaunt. Why was I meeting this person? I tried to find a clue, but I couldn't point out anything. "I am."

"I haven't seen you around here in the inn. Perhaps you're a traveler, too?" Alec continued.

"I'm also a traveler," I replied. I was confused on whether I wanted him to be Alec Forthwind or hoped that Lancelot was wrong about this one. In the case of the latter, I didn't have to worry about how I appeared right now and the very unusual request that I would be asking of him later on.

"Are you acquainted with each other?" Alec asked, looking from Lancelot to me.

I hesitantly nodded my head. "Sort of."

"I see," he replied. "So what could I possibly help you with?"

He could help me save the kingdom and regain back his father's throne. That is, if he was interested and he was really Alec Forthwind. But there was no way I could tell him those things in this situation. Instead, I said the first excuse that came to mind, "I... wanted to ask for some directions."

"Directions?" Alec repeated, seemingly confused.

"I... well, you see..." I glanced at Lancelot for help. He was as baffled as everyone else involved in this conversation. From the backyard of the inn, two men emerged. One was carrying lumber on his shoulder, and the other was holding an axe. Even if they appeared to be workers for the inn, I could sense their sudden interest in our presence. "Lancelot and I, we didn't know where... the shortcut to the Village of Moss is located."

"The shortcut to Moss?"

"Yeah?" I said. "I've heard from... Lancelot that you're quite good with directions."

"From me?" asked Lancelot in bewilderment. He was quite left out of the conversation earlier and all he did was stare at me in absolute confusion.

"Didn't you tell me that?" I lightly nudged him.

"Yes, I think... I've said that," Lancelot hesitantly agreed without taking his bemused stare from me. Obviously, we didn't risk getting caught by Henry that night so that we could ask Alec Forthwind for directions.

"Alright," Alec paused. "You take the dirt road here and go south. An hour of riding on horse, you'll get to the end part of the Northern Marsh. You'll notice the end of the marsh that leads to the desert. If you follow the ends of the marsh while going west, you'll pass a river and see a thick forest that directly lead to the Village of Moss without having to enter through the town gates."